Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Multiple questions in regards to changing trans fluid in an M6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Multiple questions in regards to changing trans fluid in an M6

First and foremost, I've done a search and really can't find the answers I'm looking for. Is it necessary to change the Transmission fluid in my M6? If so, with what type of fluid. On this website:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

He recommends that you use ATF. Is that right?!?!?! If so, can someone tell me why you'd use AUTOMATIC transmission fluid in a manual transmission? Finally, I read that the Mobil 1 syn. isn't the best choice when it comes to transmissions for the simple fact that it is too slippery. True? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

P.S. Should you have your transmission flushed rather than just change the fluid?
Old 02-21-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need to use ATF in your M6... When you look on the side of the tranny it will say it as well.... I don't think you can flush an M6, because they don't have cooler lines, just drain it & refill it until it starts coming out of the fill hole... I think they take around 4-5 qts of ATF.

Mike
Old 02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Unforgiven1- You can check out the thread I've started here: Ending the speculation: Blocker rings, who's had them fail?.

It really doesn't detail how to change the fluid, but it does go into what types are acceptable for use: non-synthetic Dexron III is the recommended fluid in 98-00 F-body T-56's, I think 01 and up F-body T-56's received Mobil-1 ATF (which is a synthetic) from the factory.

The goal of the thread I've linked to here attempts to get to the bottom of the contention that synthetic fluids are bad for 98-00 F-body's.

If you want a "step-up" from dino Dexron III, a safe bet (I've never seen it badmouthed) that shouldn't cause any lack of sleep at night is GM's own Synchromesh - part # 12345349.

Synthetic alternatives are Royal Purple's Synchromax, and Redlines D4 ATF and MTL...and of course Mobil-1's ATF.

There have been positve, neutral, and negative reports on all these types of fluids in every year of the F-body T-56, so opinions you get will differ.

Hope this helps you some...

Chuck
Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chucky2
Unforgiven1- You can check out the thread I've started here: Ending the speculation: Blocker rings, who's had them fail?.

It really doesn't detail how to change the fluid, but it does go into what types are acceptable for use: non-synthetic Dexron III is the recommended fluid in 98-00 F-body T-56's, I think 01 and up F-body T-56's received Mobil-1 ATF (which is a synthetic) from the factory.

The goal of the thread I've linked to here attempts to get to the bottom of the contention that synthetic fluids are bad for 98-00 F-body's.

If you want a "step-up" from dino Dexron III, a safe bet (I've never seen it badmouthed) that shouldn't cause any lack of sleep at night is GM's own Synchromesh - part # 12345349.

Synthetic alternatives are Royal Purple's Synchromax, and Redlines D4 ATF and MTL...and of course Mobil-1's ATF.

There have been positve, neutral, and negative reports on all these types of fluids in every year of the F-body T-56, so opinions you get will differ.

Hope this helps you some...

Chuck
I appreciate the response. I think definitely now the main thing is just figuring out what fluid to use...seems like this is still an open case. I don't think there is any one fluid that seems to be too much better than the others. Almost seems like this will come down to a matter of opinion and drivers taste. I've gotten Mobil 1 syn as of now but I'm seriously considering holding off on it and putting the sychromesh in. No price is too much for this car.

Thanks again,
Justin

Quick Reply: Multiple questions in regards to changing trans fluid in an M6