Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

best flywheel for a daily driven street car with a few track visits a year...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best flywheel for a daily driven street car with a few track visits a year...

im on a budget and debating whether to get a lightweight flywheel or just resurface the stock one. i plan on a diamond stage 3 with a new throwout and pilot bearing, a speed bleeder, and a tick adjustable master. might as well do a new slave while im down there.....let me know thanks guys
Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light weight flywheels can be tricky to launch especially if your car is heavy. I'd go with a billet steel flywheel. I had an aluminum flywheel and end up selling if for a heavier steel flywheel. I dropped almost a full tenth off my 60ft.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Launching!

what about resurfacing the stock flywheel? not worth it?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jb7241986
what about resurfacing the stock flywheel? not worth it?
resurfaceing a stock FW is fine. Generally they are good for 3-5 resurface depending on how much they take off each time.

Just like brake rotors they can be resurfaced if they don't have heat cracks, deep gaugeing and are not warped. Resurface is around $35-$45. I got a auto part store replacement FW for $40 with core return which saved a trip to machine shop for resurface. This was a LT1 application.

Billet FW is better if you intend to race and spin high RPM's as most are SFI rated
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ended up going with the lightweight flywheel, and ive liked it so far.

That being said though, I never race the car, and it does take some getting used to launching it at stoplights, which was fine for me because i did an A4/M6 swap in the car so i wasn't "used" to anything yet. Its just something different that requires a little more finesse, but it definitely does spin up faster.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most aftermarket clutch setups weigh a little more than your stock piece, so a lightweight flywheel will counteract some of that, I believe the monster FW is an 18lb option, so its not as light as others on the market, which is why i went with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

thanks fellas im probably going with a billet steel flywheel. i talked to jason at tdp thats what he recommended for my driving style. if it was an all out drag car, which it wont be cause i dont have the heart to cut up a 35th anniversary ss, id go lightweight.

Quick Reply: best flywheel for a daily driven street car with a few track visits a year...