Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch gets air at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch gets air at high rpms

If I drive my ls1/t56 normally, the clutch is fine and it shifts beautifully. If I get on it and make 3 to 4 consecutive high rpm shifts, the clutch goes to the floor and barely engages. I have to pull it over and pump the clutch for 5 minutes for it to return to normal. What could this be? Throwout bearing? My dad thinks pressure plate but I dont see how that's possible. Thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Launching!

i had almost the exact same thing happen, when i would shift at high rpm's (4500+) the pedal would stick to the floor and i would have to pick it up and pump it before it would reengage. i finished changing the clutch about 1 hr ago and its a little better but not perfect. iv changed everything except the master cylinder and so im buying one from tick performance this friday. they say that will eliminate the problem.

this stock master cylinder doesn't flow quite enough fluid for hard shifts, its a crappy design just like the differentials
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
i had almost the exact same thing happen, when i would shift at high rpm's (4500+) the pedal would stick to the floor and i would have to pick it up and pump it before it would reengage. i finished changing the clutch about 1 hr ago and its a little better but not perfect. iv changed everything except the master cylinder and so im buying one from tick performance this friday. they say that will eliminate the problem.

this stock master cylinder doesn't flow quite enough fluid for hard shifts, its a crappy design just like the differentials
So you changed the throwout bearing as well? I already have an aftermarket master cylinder as this setup is in a miata. Best of luck to you
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Launching!

yea throwout bearing, pilot bearing, realease bearing, slave cylinder, stage 2 clutch with lightweight flywheel...everything
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
yea throwout bearing, pilot bearing, realease bearing, slave cylinder, stage 2 clutch with lightweight flywheel...everything
Have you tried a pressure bleeder? I think that's what I'll try next
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Mx-5
If I drive my ls1/t56 normally, the clutch is fine and it shifts beautifully. If I get on it and make 3 to 4 consecutive high rpm shifts, the clutch goes to the floor and barely engages. I have to pull it over and pump the clutch for 5 minutes for it to return to normal. What could this be? Throwout bearing? My dad thinks pressure plate but I dont see how that's possible. Thanks in advance
How much power are you making, what kind of clutch and what is the condition of it?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Using a mighty-vac or other pressure bleeder would be a fine way to insure that all the air is out of the system. Give it a shot. You can also examine the fluid in the reservoir. If it is dark or discolored then you need to flush the fluid and refill with a higher BP fluid. Make sure that the line that leads from the master to the slave is routed properly (behind the heat shield) and I recommend wrapping the line with a good heat resistent wrap too.

Additionally, You may have a leak somewhere is the hydraulic system. Have you noticed any leaks under the car on on the firewall? If not there could be an internal leak bypassing the seals in either cylinder. Check the above and let me know what you find. We can proceed with tech support from there.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I would have to agree with trying to bleed it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

if you have headers when you run it hard the headers get really hot and the line from the master to the slave runs right along the driver side header and boils the fluid putting air in the system... go to a dot 5 fluid that fixed mine...

Quick Reply: Clutch gets air at high rpms