Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help - Clutch / Hydraulics issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Need help - Clutch / Hydraulics issue

I'll try and keep it short.

1st - Car will not go into gear only while the engine is running. Can shift into any gear when the engine is not running. While running will not no sounds it just will not go into gear.

2nd - Tried bleeding the system thinking (praying really) that it was just air in the system. Fluid was pretty black and im not going to lie I had no idea until a few days ago that you need to change and flush it every now and then. You live and learn. Nothing changed.

3rd - Replaced the Clutch master cylinder, Bleed the system using the painful 2 person manual way and used the mityvac. Mityvac holds 10-15 can't find any leaks. No change same issue still.

Other things I noticed - I hear a loud sqeaking noise when I push in the clutch seems like it is coming from the bell housing.

My next step is to change the Slave cylinder and what ever else I can change. What all should a change besides the clutch itself. I have a Textralia only a few years old I was a dumb *** and didn't change the slave cylinder then.

My question is am I on the right track? Is there a way to be 100% sure that the slave cylinder or throwout bearing is bad? I am planning to just pull the motor / trans from the bottom mostly because it's a huge pain in the *** to do from under the car with out a lift.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more hydraulics to me, I having a similar issue except when i pump the clutch it will go into gear. Not sure if there is a way to know it is your slave.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find out what it is? My car squeaks when I push the clutch in and the tranny has been acting weird, I think it's the throw out bearing aswell
Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having the same exact issue as you. Clutch would not go into gear at all, it sometimes would if i was driving but it was much more difficult than it should be. Clutch pedal also was very spongy so i started to bleed it manualy today. I bled it today for about an hour but i still dont have a stiff pedal so im going to keep trying the manual way and see where it goes

Quick Reply: Need help - Clutch / Hydraulics issue