Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are SPEC clutches zero-balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Are SPEC clutches zero-balanced?

I got my SPEC 3+ yesterday and need to get my stock flywheel resurfaced. Surfacing the flywheel in theory should not change it's balance. Assuming it's still zero-balanced, can I used it with the SPEC pressure plate right out of the box?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our parts are balanced but, as mentioned in the paper-work included with the kit, you need to have the clutch balanced with your stock flywheel. This results from the stock wheel being balanced with the stock clutch and never having been balanced independently. Trust me on this...balance them together to avoid potential issues with vibration. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Our parts are balanced but, as mentioned in the paper-work included with the kit, you need to have the clutch balanced with your stock flywheel. This results from the stock wheel being balanced with the stock clutch and never having been balanced independently. Trust me on this...balance them together to avoid potential issues with vibration. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Thanks for this advice and the advice through PM. For some reason the one engine place I called said they can balance the flywheel but not the flywheel+pp assembly. I guess I'll try another place.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understood! Let me know if you have any further questions and if needed call me and I can issue an RMA and you can send the parts to us for balancing and resurfacing if needed. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Understood! Let me know if you have any further questions and if needed call me and I can issue an RMA and you can send the parts to us for balancing and resurfacing if needed. Thanks!

FWIW Spec has excellent customer service, they took back my best friend's clutch because he got confused on the ratings system and built him a custom one for the same price.

Quick Reply: Are SPEC clutches zero-balanced?