Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some help with countershaft extension assembly for T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with countershaft extension assembly for T56

The reason I took it apart was to relocate the shifter to the front opening although this question relates to anyone who has taken apart a T56.

I'm doing the Keisler Engineering shifter relocation for my truck so I can keep a bench seat in my truck. Transmission is out of a 2004 GTO with 16K.

Everything has been going well so far (all parts are in excellent shape, haven't found any wear on anything). Pulled it apart, put it mostly back together, put the casing back on, the front shifter in the new spot (over the selector) and now about to put the countershaft extension on.

When I put the countershaft extension in (with the fork on the rail assy for the 5th&6th) I notice there is about a 1/4 inch of play on the 6th gear and 1/8 inch of play on the 5th gear. There is enough room on the rail assy for the snap ring, so it far enough down. I didn't take any of this apart when doing the conversion. Is this endplay normal? I would think it should be solid and engage the mainshaft gears (not be floating it seems).

From looking at the manual it looks like there should be a thrust washer. I don't think I lost anything taking it apart but I don't think I have a thrust washer (I think part no 108?) to go between the countershaft extension needlebearing and the countershaft top. There seems to be 2 small shims between the needlebearing and 6th but nothing else. Looking at other rebuild pictures of countershaft extensions I don't see anything that looks like a thrust washer. Is that or a snap ring holding the needle bearing in place on the other side? Anyone have a picture of the thrust washer that goes between the countershaft extension and the countershaft and how it goes together?

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help with countershaft extension assembly for T56-t56.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Between the countershaft and c.shaft extension, you either missed the thrust washer which is inner bored on one side, or you have it upside down.

The tailhousing not fitting against the main case is the telltale sign of this. Reverse shift rail alignment to the tailhousing notwithstanding.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I don't think I have a thrust washer then, either lost or wasn't there to begin with. Anyone have a picture of one?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I figure I will help out anyone else rebuilding one of these.

2004 GTO T56 Transmissions only have two thin washers by the needle bearing and do not have the thrust washer part no 108 (as per the Tremec manual). The large play on the shaft in the 6th and 5th gears is normal.

I thought I had lost this part since the manual and gm service manual call for a thrust washer to go between the countershaft extension and countershaft. I took everything apart and organized it as I went so I thought this was strange that a part would go missing. End result is there is no missing thrust washer.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Doesn't seem right that the gears should move that much.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Apparently when the mainshaft part for 5th/6th gear goes on it makes everything tighter but I remember there being some play when taking it apart. The lack of thrust washer is strange especially when everything else is so tight and precise. The two thin shims go on either side of the needle bearing but that's the only thing on there between the countershaft and countershaft extension.

I really wanted to make sure before pressing on the 5th/6th part on the mainshaft. Not the easiest thing to get off.

I'm impressed with the Keisler kit so far and extemely happy with "The Gear Box Transmission" when talking to them.

Quick Reply: Need some help with countershaft extension assembly for T56