Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help troubleshooting noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help troubleshooting noise

Over the last few weeks I've had a very sporadic noise and I am having trouble trying to figure out what it is.

The noise happens when I begin to let out the clutch and it sounds like a whirring or rubbing sound, but it only lasts for a fraction of a second. It also only occurs some times, but there's definitely a very slight vibration/feeling associated with it in the clutch pedal as well. I have tried to isolate when it happens, but it seems to appear and disappear without any observable pattern (yet).

I have sat on a level surface and revved up the engine with the clutch completely engaged and I didn't start creeping forward, and I've also floored it in 5th gear and the RPMs didn't rise any faster than they should have. So, I don't think the clutch is slipping nor is it not fully disengaging, and I'm just confused as to what else it might be.

Car has 53k on it and an LS7 clutch that was installed 12k miles ago.

Any other ideas for things I can check to try to figure out what this noise is coming from before I go tearing things apart? Thanks for your time.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is happening when the pedal is being release, and the clutch is subsequently beginning to bite, then it is not unusual. You may be dragging your foot some as you release the pedal. This elongates the engagement window and can lead to greater potential for sound and even feel as the clutch disc is is between release and engagement. See if the issue goes away if you get off the clutch pedal abit faster. Thanks!