Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 input shaft fix and specific rebuild Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 input shaft fix and specific rebuild Q's

So the good ol' slave died on my trans am, so while the tranny is out I'm rebuilding it.

First of all the pilot surface on the input shaft is not pretty. The car has a bushing in it, which confuses me b/c i thought all LS t56s used pilot bearings from the factory. In 98 did they use a bushing?

My suspicion if it had a bearing it went out and a bushing was thrown in without fixing the input shaft....but it does not look like the tranny has ever been pulled, and the only other owner says it never has......?
Regardless it needs fixing. I don't want to buy a new shaft so i want to turn down the surface in a lathe a bit and get an oversize bushing. Anyone else ever done this?

Pulled apart the tranny and i have a few questions after talking with my friend who is a longtime tranny builder but......almost all on automatics.

First of all the 5/6 gear just came of with a little tug, and here i was ready for it to be a PITA with the long puller. Now my guy says not to worry i should just put it back with lock-tight?

The tapered bearings have "heat lines" on the rollers but smooth to the touch. Replace ya or nay? Dam i don't want to do preload setup.

lastly I asked him about sharpening the dog teeth and he said not to touch them as they are only surfaced hardened and it would only make them worse in the long run. Do any pro guys have words of experience on sharpening gears on this tranny?
Attached Thumbnails t56 input shaft fix and specific rebuild Q's-screen-shot-2012-04-20-6.35.03-pm.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

Definitely need to replace or repair that tip of the input shaft.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

bump..
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a t56 with the same wear in the input shaft that I'm going to put in my 67. After puting new bearings in my two TAs, it's my opinion they are pretty crappy bearings. The 67 will get a bushing, that way if the bushing ever wears out it won't be able to wear the IS like the bearings do when they wear out. I'm also interested in a cheaper fix than a new input shaft.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not worry about the 5/6 gear. It's snap-ringed in place so it isn't going anywhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If the dog teeth are worn I would just touch them up lightly to remove the burrs/overhangs. I would not try to sharpen them as that sometimes implies removing material.

If the bearings have heat marks I would replace them. Cheap insurance.

Any pics of the lines or dog teeth?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

14 years without a single clutch replacement? Maybe they forgot something that occurred 10 years ago.

cluster gear: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...bration-3.html This is a valid way to fix it.

Rockland has an article by Mike what'shisname about shaping teeth. Your opinion may vary, depending on whether you're preventing customer come-backs or just pulling it yourself in no hurry.

Quick Reply: t56 input shaft fix and specific rebuild Q's