Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch bad after 6000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch bad after 6000 miles?

Well I'm just looking for some answers. I'm not here to put down any manufacturer, so I'm not naming the clutch I'm having problems with. Most of the clutch manufacturers are always helpful on this forum and I'm not even sure if it's a defective clutch yet. So my problem is about a month ago my clutch would not disengage. I was told to try putting in a tick m/c, I did and it didn't help. So I finally got it to the shop yesterday and they called me today and said they pulled the tranny and there is clutch dust everywhere, and that the clutch needs replaced. They said the slave cylinder is good. Now a little about my car, it's a 02 WS6 putting down 430 rwhp and 588 rwhp on a 150 shot. The car is a garage queen, mainly car shows, cruise ins and an occasional street race. It's never been to the drag strip. The clutch has a little less than 6k on it and was put it by a very reputable shop, it was also the correct stage for the amount of power I'm producing. So what do you guys think the problem was? I've been in touch with the manufacturer and will talk with them more tomorrow. The clutch is out of warranty, so I'm also looking for some recommendations on a new clutch, the guy at my shop is recommending a twin disc, what do you think?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets make sure we have all the details needed for assessment. You note issues with release. Was this issue present from the beginning? Or did it just develop over time? Did you notice any change in the pedal (travel for engagement or pressure variance)? Did pumping the pedal affect clutch release? Did the clutch require a spacer? Was the spacer installed? Did the installer check spacing to insure that the shim was or wasn't needed? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further trouble shooting!
(As a side note, having a clutch that doesn't release wouldn't inherently lead to excessive wear. If the clutch was slipping it would certainly affect wear though. Did you notice any slippage?)

Quick Reply: clutch bad after 6000 miles?