Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quicktime bellhousing install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quicktime bellhousing install

I've read a lot of people just bolt these things on and go, while others trash their clutch/tranny because they required offset dowel locators, some saying the only needed like .007" offset....how are you guys checking the fit up? How do you know you need any offset at all, let alone that little bit? i wanna make sure this thing goes in right.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
I've read a lot of people just bolt these things on and go, while others trash their clutch/tranny because they required offset dowel locators, some saying the only needed like .007" offset....how are you guys checking the fit up? How do you know you need any offset at all, let alone that little bit? i wanna make sure this thing goes in right.
Theres a thread on here on how to do it with a T56, but basically you are checking the bellhousing hole alignment with the crankshaft centerline. I don't know what a T56 requires but a TKO requires .005" or less of error.

What you are doing is taking a dial indicator with a magnetic base putting it on the flywheel with the guage plunger on the bellhousing opening. You zero out the guage, rotate the engine until the guage reads its highest reading in the opposite direction. If its .010 or less than your run-out is =>.005" and is good. If its more than you need off-set dowels in the direction its off.

You will also take measurements at the 12 to 6 (up/down) and 3 to 9 (Left to right).

In my case when I measured mine, I was at .005 left to right (within spec), but .010 up to down (out of spec). Which based on if the reading moved neg or pos determines if the bell needs to be moved up or down to be within .005". If you see off-set dowels, the most common is .007" and .014". Since .007" is closer to .010" than .014", use the .007" dowel pointing down to move the bell down .007". This will correct it to .003".

Make sense? Youll understand when you put a dial indicator on it and rotate the engine over.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's all i needed to know, man. Thanks. I figured i could use a dial indicator, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some other way i was unaware of.

Quick Reply: Quicktime bellhousing install