Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Keep missing third:(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep missing third:(

went to the track and ran my car for the first time, i dont know if its cuz im used to driving a stang or what but i cannot get third gear for the life of me i was able to get it on like 3 passes but the rest of the passes i missed third everytime, i would either hit 5th, or would sit there for a second trying to find third, wtf??? its almost like its blocking me out of third or something, im sure its just me not being able to So what can i do to fix this?? i want to upgrade to a hurst shifter or a pro 5.0 or other, what does everyone recommend? im really affraid of hitting 1st gear by accident maybe thats my problem. So whats the best shifter for me to not miss 3rd? it pissed me off so much waiting 20min in line only to miss 3rd and coast down the track running 15s help a newbie out
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3rd gear is extremely easy to find once you put on a pro 5.0. Unfortunately it no longer becomes a question of missing, now it is a question of hitting no mans land between 3rd and 5th. After about a week of practice on my pro 5.0 I quit missing gears and havnt missed one since (although I did scratch second once letting the clutch out too quick )
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kckid
3rd gear is extremely easy to find once you put on a pro 5.0. Unfortunately it no longer becomes a question of missing, now it is a question of hitting no mans land between 3rd and 5th. After about a week of practice on my pro 5.0 I quit missing gears and havnt missed one since (although I did scratch second once letting the clutch out too quick )
yeah i bet thats what im doing is hitting no mans land, so i guess i just need more practice. so whats better, getting a stock hurst or a pro5.0? what does everyone recommend?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

im really just affraid of hitting 1st
Old 04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
PR Director

Some people like the stock hurst with a short stick. Others prefer the Pro 5.0 but it is not as smooth as the hurst. It is more notchy giving you a sure feeling that each gear is going into place. I have a Pro 5.0 and had a short stick on it but it was just way to notchy for driving everyday. For the strip is was a bad *** combo, slammed gears like no tomorrow. If you were choosing between the two shifters it all depends on your preference, but the better our of the two is the 5.0.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with the pro 5.0. I have the hurst short throw (came with the car) and i'm hearing bad things about it. I miss third every now and then too and my buddy who keeps up on his **** said with the 5.0 i won't do it. So thats what i'm going to get.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, so how easy is it to hit first gear?? if i just push straight up with it hit third?? my problem is i keep trying to go up and to the right and my friend says they arent that far apart but i dont want to hit 1st by accident so i keep hitting the no mans land between 3rd and 5th or i hit 5th, what do you guys recommend i do?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stick will acually go to the middle if you were to take it out of gear and let go of it. Thats where your third is. Don't go right and up, just put in the middle and up. I don't put any horizontal pressure on at all when i hit third. And i wouldn't worry about hitting first. I don't know about your ride, but mine will grind, make a loud noise and you'll feel it if my RPMs are way up and my speed is way up.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:27 AM
PR Director

Its all in the positioning of your hand. 1-2 shift use the 2 middle index fingers to snap it in gear. 2-3 **** have open palm and push away from you, 3-4 make sure your elbow is pointed away from you towards the passenger seat so you don't accidently go into second and 4-5 shift is like 3-4 shift open palm and push away from you.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks a bunch for the advise, ill have to try that.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure and consider the Ripper, kicks @ss man!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

so where can i find more info on the different types of shifters and customer ratings?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here :-) I love my B&M ripper, but have heard good things about the pro5.0 . Either of the 2 will help you out a good bit. I find that the ripper returns to center much stronger than the factory hurst short throw, which will help you out a good bit with the 2-3 and 3-4. The other good advice was the hand positioning mentioned above, and if you have a non-round shifter ****, turn it so the that front points slightly towards 3rd when the shifter is in second (make sure the shifter is in neutral when you turn the **** though. This will help with the open palm shift to 3rd, it gets your hand and arm pointed where it should go.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm about to pick up a pro 5.0 and lou's short stick. Supposed to the shortest set around. I'll let you know in about a week when i get it and put in how i like it.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks it seems that everyone gets the pro5.0, so is that the best one??
Old 04-08-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hourang
cool thanks it seems that everyone gets the pro5.0, so is that the best one??
Well just beucase everyone else gets it don't mean its the best. As far as shifters go, it is more a preferance to the driver.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Launching!

i like my B&M ripper, with the open palm thing mentioned above, you almost never miss 3rd, i also hear a lot of good things baout the pro 5.0,
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SlammedTA
Its all in the positioning of your hand. 1-2 shift use the 2 middle index fingers to snap it in gear. 2-3 **** have open palm and push away from you, 3-4 make sure your elbow is pointed away from you towards the passenger seat so you don't accidently go into second and 4-5 shift is like 3-4 shift open palm and push away from you.
I would practice using these methods. I am going out on a limb here and assume your SS has a SLP installed Hurst shifter, right? I personally like the SLP Hurst. With the correct hand position and the SLP Hurst miss shifting is less likely. Get a short stick and try that before you spend $180 for a new shifter, unless your SS doesn't have the SLP Hurst.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah u might be missing it but do u have the stock hydraulics in that bad boy? i miss 3rd alllllllllllllll the time if i shift about 6000 with my stock 98-00 hydraulics, no it doesnt grind either just feels like your between 1st and 3rd. my friend has a pro 5.0 and i can hit that thing into 3rd faster than my hurst, and i can hit it fast too. difference is he has the upgraded slave. if you shift fast below about 5500 can you jam it in there pretty good or what? try to roll in 2nd a little and then punch it and slam 3rd and see how that goes.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the way i have a hurst in mine and i have a short stick and i bent it and i believe that i can get it in there better than a pro 5.0 now but its nice and smooth and u dont have to worry about adjusting the stops. id put a pic of how it looks up but its a piece of ****. if you want one ill send you one it looks cool lol

Quick Reply: Keep missing third:(