Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear oddness

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear oddness

I was convinced it was me causing me to missing third. I got a MGW figured that might sort it. No.. Installed a Tick Master Cylinder.. still no joy

I miss third gear when WOT frequently. If I start the car push in the clutch and put it in third it goes in smooth like butter. If I go back to neutral pump the clutch three time (like 1 -2 -3 shift) its a total bitch to get in third. Its got like two clicks (notchy) I got the pedal set just below the brake pedal with the tick all the other gears feel fine..

Pops out of 3rd on occasion too..

I am about to send it away for a rebuild, you guys gat a clue as to what is going on?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's popping out of 3rd you need to adjust the shifter a bit. That is what I've had to do on mine. The 2 clicks are normal as far as I'm concerned, that is the way these trannys work. Same with the mustangs. Only cars that dont have the 2 clicks in my experience are imports with low horsepower. Smooth as butter and slow as ****.
If you are trying to quick shift under wot you should be putting pressure on the shifter to get it into the next gear. Maybe another good bleed will help as well. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

It could be relative to a miss-adjusted shifter but you could also be seeing issues with the transmission itself (specifically the synchro's, forks, selectors, blockers, etc...). The fact that you problem is relative to a single gear only supports the possibility that this is a Trans issue. It may be time to crack it open and take a look.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried the in gear rev test sitting on a flat surface to ensure the clutch is fully disengaging and the car doesn't creep?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to manhandle the shifters in these cars. The centering springs are there to help you, all you really have to do is guide. The infamous 3-2 comes from trying to yank the hell out of it, and applying too much pressure to the right side of the shifter. Hand position can help alot. Just a few things after having this car for almost 12 years. I have done the 3-2 (luckily at low speed). Learned to adjust my technique.

I am not saying you do not have a transmission issue, just something else to consider.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like the classic need for the drill mod to the feed line. If it's clashed awhile, you also have the classic symptoms of the wallowed/ worn 3/4 shift fork ( aluminum). There is an aftermarket iron relacement 3/4 fork.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys, I changed the fluid in the trans and started paying attention when and why it is happening. I do believe I was pushing right not just straight up. I started letting the MGW do its job and things seem to have smoothed out.

Operator error? I am willing to admit that might be the case but the trans fluid change did help too IMO
Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

What fluid did you change it to?

Quick Reply: 3rd gear oddness