Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

900rwhp roll/mile/occational strip trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cajundragger
my application is not roll or drag...I'm building a road/grip car.

My power will be around 800fwhp but I doubt the trans will see it much given traction limitations.

I'm concerned with does the flow need to be directed and regulated or does fluid just need to be dumped into the case.

If the later is true then I'll just drill and tap a 3/8 npt hole now..assemble my trans with a plug in the hole and later on screw in a fitting and be done with it. I could probably press a machined 'reducer' or 'nozzle' inside the NPT side of a NPT to AN fitting to use.

On that senior project we welded AN to AN unions in the wall of the case so we had a nice AN junction on either side. It worked great.

Just need more details on Blue99's setup(nozzle or termination). I also need to figure out where the stock corvette dumps the fluid. I know where on the case but I need to see what that correlates to in terms of internal components.

Sorry for the thread jack..but we are chasing the same thing.

I don't think we are as you stated in the first part of your post. If you read the thread you will find the info you are seeking. These transmission fail due a lack of proper lubrication under heavy/extended periods of acceleration. This sends the fluid to the rear of the transmission, starving the forward most gears of fluid.

For a road race car I don't see it being an issue.. With that said I would still use a pump.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the same time...how effective is the fluid if its against the walls. who knows.

I will probably pump it. I'm starting real assembly tomorrow or so. I'll probably just drill the hole and tap it and do something with it later. I'd rather have it and not use it then want it and have to disassemble.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

at the same time...how effective is the fluid if its against the walls. who knows. I will probably pump it. I'm starting real assembly tomorrow or so. I'll probably just drill the hole and tap it and do something with it later. I'd rather have it and not use it then want it and have to disassemble.
If it where my road race car I would probably add a network of small diameter sprayers all across the housing. It can't hurt to get an even coating of ATF across the gears. Coupled with a nice trans cooler it seems like a win/win situation.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
If it where my road race car I would probably add a network of small diameter sprayers all across the housing. It can't hurt to get an even coating of ATF across the gears. Coupled with a nice trans cooler it seems like a win/win situation.
Booo. ATF.

Go with synchromesh. I was amazed how much nicer the trans shifted once I made the switch.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Booo. ATF. Go with synchromesh. I was amazed how much nicer the trans shifted once I made the switch.
Meh you know what I meant
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did drill and tap the front of my case. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

Because I started my build with a vette donor I also have an extra port I can use for the pump feed without tieing up the drain.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM
8 Second Club

I did drill and tap the front of my case. I'll get pics up tomorrow. Because I started my build with a vette donor I also have an extra port I can use for the pump feed without tieing up the drain.
Excellent please post pictures when your done
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just really tried to copy the guys who have already done it.

went ahead and marked where to drill....

then center punch/pilot/couple sizes later ended at 7/16" and tapped to 1/4npt. its important to drill normal to the surface and not normal to the trans case. the surface where this fitting is put is at a slight angle which will work perfect to spray the front plate/bearings with lube.

shot from the inside. the angle is more pronounced.

1/4npt to -6.

my feed is 1/2npt to -8. I'm going to use a -8 feed to the pump and -6 into the case. gear pump are picky about intake restrictions and I want the highest possible flow. I may move this fitting to the tail drain if it cavitates since this bung isn't in the absolute rear of the case. but then I'll have one fitting on the drivers side and one on the passenger. I like having both on the same side and keeping the factory drain plug active.

that's it for now. don't expect to here any testing data anytime soon as this is going in a project '64 nova that is at least a year from driving.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 PM
8 Second Club

DG where you at with that new pump? Also i forgot to ask you guys what GPH pumps are you guys going with?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Wonder if swapping to a RSG gearset would help? i wonder how much they would sell the just the gear set for...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

the problem is the gear teeth at the front of the cluster shaft. Is that a split 1 piece counter(now 2 piece)?

the input mesh to the cluster gear is what gets nasty FUBAR'd when it is starved of the slippy ****.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Great thread.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guilty of just reading the last page, but just to let you know, my car is set up for time attack / road racing, and I had my transmission fail from lack of front end lubrication. About to order a tr6060 magnum with spray bungs. After a 20 minute session it was starting to howl. It didn't take long to completely disassemble itself after that. (1971 Camaro, TT406 800rwhp) was a MN12..
Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marktainium
I'm guilty of just reading the last page, but just to let you know, my car is set up for time attack / road racing, and I had my transmission fail from lack of front end lubrication. About to order a tr6060 magnum with spray bungs. After a 20 minute session it was starting to howl. It didn't take long to completely disassemble itself after that. (1971 Camaro, TT406 800rwhp) was a MN12..
Smart move. I've heard of the TR6060's eating themselves up just like the T56's. Front shaft lubrication is important with either one.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably should have finished the sprayer install. not sure if it would have helped but definitely wouldnt have hurt. pretty sure 3rd went first, the rest was consequential

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 05-26-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
probably should have finished they sprayer install. not sure if it would have helped but definitely wouldnt have hurt. pretty sure 3rd went first, the rest was consequential

Jesus.. did you have any spray system at all?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 PM
8 Second Club

As promised here is the STS oil scavenge pump I picked up for $100 shipped. Judging by the rate of flow it looks like this thing flows a little more than 1 GPM Even with a -8 feed line this thing puts out a heavy stream that is probably around 35-45 PSI. All this was done with 80W90 so I imagine the lighter trans fluid will only flow better.

On a side note to any one planning to run this pump or one like it where the pump is HIGHER than the reservoir. Put it on a switch or find some way to activate it at least 10 seconds before you plan on hammering it as it takes a bit to clear the line of air on first start up.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

this thread keeps on giving. Cant wait to run a setup like this.

Quick Reply: 900rwhp roll/mile/occational strip trans