Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

900rwhp roll/mile/occational strip trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have photos of a drilled and tapped T56 housing? I'm going to do this myself and would like a reference photo for the T56 and not the TR6060
Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Ill be in the same situation. What pump are you going with?
Havent picked a pump yet. I was just going to call tick or rpm and see what they suggest. If not, im sure a google search would lead to one.

I also use the n2mb WOT box and it seriously takes the hit off the trans/gears when shifting. It cuts spark when you engage the clutch and reactivates once you let up. No lift shifting is actually easier and smoother than shifting normal at WOT now.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Havent picked a pump yet. I was just going to call tick or rpm and see what they suggest. If not, im sure a google search would lead to one.

I also use the n2mb WOT box and it seriously takes the hit off the trans/gears when shifting. It cuts spark when you engage the clutch and reactivates once you let up. No lift shifting is actually easier and smoother than shifting normal at WOT now.
that sounds awesome
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Does anyone have photos of a drilled and tapped T56 housing? I'm going to do this myself and would like a reference photo for the T56 and not the TR6060
i have a pic i can post later.

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Yes sir, talkin about studderin. What OSCS wants is a roll racing trans. These races last a lot longer than 8-10 seconds. I'd love to know how it looks inside whenever you do a tear down on it now that it's been running with a pump.
0-160 or 60-160 the mile stuff i can see being harder on the trans not the roll racing. roll races really dont last that long i used to do plenty of it.

i run the lnc-003 and it does wonders working as a tq cut to help wot shifts and keep the trans in one piece.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Tilton/454/40-525/10002/-1
this is the pump i use on mine
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
i have a pic i can post later.

i run the lnc-003 and it does wonders working as a tq cut to help wot shifts and keep the trans in one piece.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Tilton/454/40-525/10002/-1
this is the pump i use on mine
If you could post some nice pics of your setup i think it would help a lot of people who think about doing this but get cold feet because of lack of info.

Anymore details on the pump? That jegs description is pretty general lol. What size fittings does it use?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

0-160 or 60-160 the mile stuff i can see being harder on the trans not the roll racing. roll races really dont last that long i used to do plenty of it.
You should also know that its never only one roll race. I"ve been there and have done it. 5 to 6 roll races a night and never giving the trans to cool down is where I am getting at. Around here you can make a pass at the track and have to wait another hour and a half in line again before you can make another pass. Lets the trans cool down.

I am just giving you guys my personal opinion. I build these transmissions for a living, I am not just guessing at what is happening to them. Every turbo cars trans that I have torn down has had discoloring in the gears. Mainly in 3rd/4th. I have had them cryo treated and micro polished with the same outcome. When it comes to serious power customers want consistency and trouble free transmissions. That's why most cars in the higher hp range and doing a 4L80e conversion. I am currently working on a setup to feed the gears and needle bearing cages to help them from starvation. Once I get this going I will be testing it on a couple of customers cars that have already agreed to being the test mules. I REALLY want to know if this will actually help 1k plus hp cars. That is the goal.. for cars over 1k. What company do you guys know that warranty's their 1K hp rated t56/tr6060? NO ONE.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 AM
8 Second Club

You should also know that its never only one roll race. I"ve been there and have done it. 5 to 6 roll races a night and never giving the trans to cool down is where I am getting at. Around here you can make a pass at the track and have to wait another hour and a half in line again before you can make another pass. Lets the trans cool down.

I am just giving you guys my personal opinion. I build these transmissions for a living, I am not just guessing at what is happening to them. Every turbo cars trans that I have torn down has had discoloring in the gears. Mainly in 3rd/4th. I have had them cryo treated and micro polished with the same outcome. When it comes to serious power customers want consistency and trouble free transmissions. That's why most cars in the higher hp range and doing a 4L80e conversion. I am currently working on a setup to feed the gears and needle bearing cages to help them from starvation. Once I get this going I will be testing it on a couple of customers cars that have already agreed to being the test mules. I REALLY want to know if this will actually help 1k plus hp cars. That is the goal.. for cars over 1k. What company do you guys know that warranty's their 1K hp rated t56/tr6060? NO ONE.

For the sub 1KHP car a pump is going to work. Consistent failures mean consistent solutions. You should share your ideas by taking photos and posting them for others to see
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

If you could post some nice pics of your setup i think it would help a lot of people who think about doing this but get cold feet because of lack of info.

Anymore details on the pump? That jegs description is pretty general lol. What size fittings does it use?
i dont remember what ntp size the fittings are its been awile i have 6an line feeding things though.
http://tiltonracing.com/product/cooler-pumps/

here is the only pic i can find from about 3 years ago cars torn apart now but pump is still set up similar

i have pump on a toggle switch i turn on before i make a pass or hard n2o pull on the street. some put them on a wide open throttle switch but then you cant hear the pump turn on do to noise so i dont care for that option but it does keep you from forgetting to turn it on.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
8 Second Club

Beautiful! thank you for that picture
Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am just giving you guys my personal opinion. I build these transmissions for a living, I am not just guessing at what is happening to them. Every turbo cars trans that I have torn down has had discoloring in the gears. Mainly in 3rd/4th. I have had them cryo treated and micro polished with the same outcome. When it comes to serious power customers want consistency and trouble free transmissions.
Pumps here aren't about cooling the transmission like the stock ones, they're about keeping fluid on the 3-4 interface gears that get uncovered under hard acceleration and/or cornering. As you pointed out, these are the gears that heat up and blue, but only from lack of lubrication, not from hot lubrication...
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Pumps here aren't about cooling the transmission like the stock ones, they're about keeping fluid on the 3-4 interface gears that get uncovered under hard acceleration and/or cornering. As you pointed out, these are the gears that heat up and blue, but only from lack of lubrication, not from hot lubrication...
Yes sir! It's the reason for keeping constant oil on the gears and inside needle bearings to help it internally.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 PM
8 Second Club

Bringing this thread back to life. DG did you ever run that new high flow pump you found? and what about you blue 99 did you ever gets the trans torn down and pics after running it with a pump this season?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

i didnt get any pics but everything looked damn near perfect when rpm torn it down, just repolished 2nd gear and threw it all back together
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm trying to decide if I want to run a pump or not. I have about 2 days to decide.

I have an LS7 case so I already have the input hole but not sure where it is directed. I'm curious if I should add another hole more forward. Then the question is how to add some kind of nozzel.

I have actually done a study on this for my senior project in college. We needed to lube a set of spur gears. I'll see what I can dig up.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

If anyone is interested about making a nozzle. Our goal for this was to produce a steady stream of ATF, not a spray, and have zero foaming. We also used the geometry of the 'nozzles' to limit flow. So if you guys want multiple nozzles you can size them so that they flow evenly without a complicated hydraulic circuit.

I have a pic of what I came up with followed by some screen shots of our presentation where we present some data. Maybe this will help someone?

you can see we never reached our .875gpm goal but we had other issues...our main gear pump wasn't putting out the flow we needed so pressure dropped.

this was done at 125psi BTW. I'm not sure what the pumps you guys use are putting out.

Last edited by cajundragger; 03-04-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

glad I subscribed to this thread. Interesting project.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

Man those nozzles look sweet but I was hoping for a less complicated solution.. more like a hole in the side of the trans with a pump I think a lot of the guys running a pump kept it pretty simple but hey this thread was created to find solutions so keep them coming.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

i didnt get any pics but everything looked damn near perfect when rpm torn it down, just repolished 2nd gear and threw it all back together
Imagine that.. Thanks for the rapid response!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cajundragger
I'm trying to decide if I want to run a pump or not. I have about 2 days to decide.

I have an LS7 case so I already have the input hole but not sure where it is directed. I'm curious if I should add another hole more forward. Then the question is how to add some kind of nozzel.

I have actually done a study on this for my senior project in college. We needed to lube a set of spur gears. I'll see what I can dig up.
Blue99 just made up your mind for you, now tell him Thank you.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

my application is not roll or drag...I'm building a road/grip car.

My power will be around 800fwhp but I doubt the trans will see it much given traction limitations.

I'm concerned with does the flow need to be directed and regulated or does fluid just need to be dumped into the case.

If the later is true then I'll just drill and tap a 3/8 npt hole now..assemble my trans with a plug in the hole and later on screw in a fitting and be done with it. I could probably press a machined 'reducer' or 'nozzle' inside the NPT side of a NPT to AN fitting to use.

On that senior project we welded AN to AN unions in the wall of the case so we had a nice AN junction on either side. It worked great.

Just need more details on Blue99's setup(nozzle or termination). I also need to figure out where the stock corvette dumps the fluid. I know where on the case but I need to see what that correlates to in terms of internal components.

Sorry for the thread jack..but we are chasing the same thing.

Quick Reply: 900rwhp roll/mile/occational strip trans