Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch install gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch install gone wrong?

I have an 2000 ls1 camaro with the t56.
Just installed a diamond stage 2 clutch package, same clutch that was already in the car actually, and it already had a tick master cylinder in there as well.
I installed the new slave with the shim provided. Didnt adjust the master.
Got all the air out or most of it at least.
adjusted the master a little bit to make the clutch grab a bit little lower.
Shifts great, goes into gear great.
But it seems like theres brake fluid dripping from the bellhousing right where it meets the oil pan in the little opening.

Now if my slave is leaking would i feel it in the pedal?

Or could that just be excess brake fluid that i spilled from filling the resivoir cause i did spill a decent amount.
Took it for a drive, around 40 miles, drives fine, stopped 3 times and topped off the resivoir each time, figured it was just bubbles clearing out.

What are the chances that my slave is leaking? could i have over extended it because of that shim?

Ps. Shout out the Jason at TDP, great customer service and advice, clutch shipped the same day i ordered it, Awesome.

Last edited by TheoLoop; 03-16-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

i would check the bleeder screw on slave make sure its tight
Old 03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not bubbles, I am actually having the same problem but not as bad as a leak. I have the tick remote bleeder and I think that that's where the leak is coming from. Is it dripping out of you bell housing?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Installed a speed bleeder line and that seems good, unless its dripping from where its attached from the slave. And yeah it looks like its out of the bell housing.

Im just confused cause the clutch pedal feels great.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Teching In

UPDATE: Okay looks like my input shaft is leaking, If i drop it again to change the seal is there anything else i should change? a bearing or something while im in there?. And is that a hard thing to change? looks like i gotta get the front cover of the tranny off.

Last edited by TheoLoop; 03-17-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Ive heard that the input shaft seal is the first thing into the tranny so that means the last thing out so you will be able to see if any of the parts need to be changed out when u have it all apart
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Looks like the shim i used made it so the slave cylinder was touching the pressure plate constantly, but not bad enough to make the clutch slip. Slave heated up and must have melted the seals, leaked brake fluid and took the paint off my pressure plate turnined the fluid red which made me think it was atf.
New slave on the way. No more shim though!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you used a new clutch with your old pressure plate and flywheel you will want that shim. The problem you're going to have eventually is that the pedal will engage lower and lower as you eat more surface off of everything. The shim wouldn't cause the slave to fail its just coincidental.

At least you didn't install your clutch backwards like I did
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Nah i used the pressure plate and flywheel that came with the cltuch, all new. So i wont put the shim on this time around.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Think it was just a faulty slave cylinder. From the design of the clutch it seems like the slave is in constant contact with the pressure plate? Or am i wrong?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are correct the slave should be constantly depressed against the pressure plate and extend to put pressure on the pressure plate which releases the clutch which is attached to the shaft on the trans. Basically the clutch gets sandwiched and forces the output shaft to spin and power to go back to the rear end through the drive shaft.

When you push the clutch pedal down it forces fluid into the slave which makes the slave extend and put pressure on the pressure plate which releases the clutch disc from spinning with the pressure plate and flywheel which spin on the engines crank (since the flywheel is bolted on the crank)

On the end of the slave is the throw out bearing which spins with the pressure plate. They use to sell it separately however now the slave and throw out bearing are all one unit

The shim is used to get the slave closer to the pressure plate. If you said your brand new clutch was slipping it would be because the pressure plate is being pushed on by the slave even though its fully compressed. If you said your new clutch caused your transmission to be hard to shift and pedal engage too close to the floor I would put in a shim behind the slave which would make it extend further out putting more pressure on the pressure plate to make it release the clutch

It would be easier to show with the parts all laying on the floor lol

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-20-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Turns out it was not the slave cylinder leaking. Got a new slave and installed it all and i had the same leak, finally did some research and figured out that my speed bleeder line did not come with a copper washer neccesary to seal the fitting. Got a washer kit from autozone and it worked like a charm, not one drop. 3 times dropping the transmission in a week all for a washer. Oh well, everything works beautifully now though.

Quick Reply: Clutch install gone wrong?