Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rear Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T56 Rear Seal Leak

Folks...

I need to replace the tail housing bushing. Has anyone here successfully R & R'd the extension housing with the trans in the car? It appears to be a MUCH easier task than pulling the entire trans if it's doable.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

I just finished replacing mine with a Rockland bushing. Completely doable!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you! Good to know.

But now I'm thinking of just going ahead and pulling the trans and going through it. Problem is, every time I do that, I can't find a place to stop and end up putting all new components in the thing. You know...find a gear that is still serviceable, but wouldn't hurt to be new. Man...that kind of crap costs me thousands over the years.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Thank you! Good to know.

But now I'm thinking of just going ahead and pulling the trans and going through it. Problem is, every time I do that, I can't find a place to stop and end up putting all new components in the thing. You know...find a gear that is still serviceable, but wouldn't hurt to be new. Man...that kind of crap costs me thousands over the years.
Funny you had just said this. I Pulled mine out to do a new slave and a reverse fix. I said the same thing, well since I'm this far.....I should do this, and this, and this, and this. Several hundred later, I'm all back together. I do feel better about it though. Got parts through The Gear Box. Service was good. I'm like you on these type of things, just can't look the other way on the "can't hurt to be new". Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a SNAP ON S8687A Transmission bushing remover puller.
It allows you to pull the bushing while it's still in the car. Best tool I have used to remove it so far. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bushing is a direct fit replacement? I read a lot about people having trouble finding a bushing that fits without buckling or needing to be modified to fit.

Quick Reply: T56 Rear Seal Leak