Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pilot bearing problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pilot bearing problems

I am installing a new flywheel,pressure plate,disc,and slave cylinder because slave is shot.Removed the old pilot bearing with a slide hammer.I attempted to install a new pilot bearing and it didn't want to go in more than half way.I was pounding and pounding and it would not move. I had bad feelings about it all (seemed like it wasn't going to go in all the way). I pulled the new one out and it looked like it had some ridges from the install.

What should I do? I never had this problem when I did my old 327 blocks.Can you put something on it to make it slippery. Should I lightly sand the hole were it goes in.I figured I would leave it alone until I figured it out. I did some searches.What do I need to do?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can, post a pic of the crank pilot hole and also the bearing you are attempting to install so that we can see if there is something you are missing.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

given the pounding and now ridge on the bearing I would get a new one. Mic the new one and then crank. "generally" there is about .003 oversize on the bearing. you can use some emery cloth on the inside of the crank to open it up some.

Not sure if there is a "slight" difference in what GM bearing is vs alternate brands and if there is a slight OD size difference.

I have seen aftermarket cranks have "slight" variance in pilot bearing hole being larger than stock requiring using shim stock around the bearing, green loc tite or getting the bearing knurled at a machine shop.

I use a large wood dowel to install the pilot with a hammer. Should take a few whacks but not "beating" on it to get it in
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When installing my pilot bearing I froze it overnight, I probably gave it about 10 to 12 good taps and it went in no problem. I'd definitely get a new one and try it again.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to the dealer and got a new one( $25.00 ) and it fit a lot better.I used a washer and a 6" 1/2" drive extension and pounded it in. Problem solved.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys have a hard time getting the trans back on after you replaced the pilot bearing? Mine just didn't wanna go in and I gave it some love taps with a dead blow to get it together. Kinda been worried about my new pilot bearing though, I'm hoping I didn't damage it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Getting the tranny back in was a huge pain in the ***. It didn't want to go in. You need to really move it around and get a friend to help you . I think it' so hard because it is really heavy.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
Getting the tranny back in was a huge pain in the ***. It didn't want to go in. You need to really move it around and get a friend to help you . I think it' so hard because it is really heavy.
And it's very awkward because it is so heavy in the tail shaft. There are YouTube videos that start out showing how easy it is to get the t56 on an ls1 that end up with the guy shutting off the video and restarting it with "ok got the trans in". Struggling with it is typical
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
agreed. I have since invested in trans jack...and i use an old input shaft to lineup the clutch disc. transmission goes in way easier...

Last edited by brigade24; 08-18-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: claritin clarity
Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep a tranny jack helps A LOT. I see guys saying you just "bench the T-56 and slide it into place"
Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, you don't want to do the clutch without a tranny jack.It is a must.

Quick Reply: pilot bearing problems