Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I have two T56's for Two Projects, a GTO & FRS LS Swap Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have two T56's for Two Projects, a GTO & FRS LS Swap Need Advice

Ok here is the situation and why I am asking to avoid any possible questions.
I am in the middle of swapping an LS into my FRS, I had a Corvette that on Dec. 4th got hit in a hit and run and totaled. Because of this I bought another vehicle settling on a GTO because the LS2 in it would be a better choice over the Modified LS1 that was going in the FRS.
The Vette had a brand New 408 Stroker in it and I have a Tick Stage 2 F-Body T56 sitting here for the FRS. I now also have the LS2 and GTO T56 (MN12). I know the gear ratio's are different but I was concerned with the GTO MN12 handling the 408 Stroker when I have a Tick Stage 2 sitting here but I have read they are different. This brings me to my main questions.

1) How much will the MN12 hold power/torque?

2) Should I go through the effort, losing the gear ratios for the GTO but gaining them for the FRS to put the Tick Stage 2 in the GTO?

3) Just what exactly (pictures would be nice) has to be swapped?

4) Also how badly does this switch negatively effect the GTO's gearing and speedo?

I have been searching and I get mixed reports, it does seem the GTO Trans can be swapped in F-Bodies with a GTO Starter or an F-Body Housing. What I am not clear on is the shifter mounting if you can just swap the F-Body one. However I am not finding a lot about putting an F-Body Trans into a GTO beause most consider the GTO trans to be a better one and are not in the position I am.

So while I am sure I have not found everything or the right search combination I have been looking and would just like to get some additional help figuring this out so I can make it happen.

Thanks

I have thought up a few more questions.

I have been looking into the Diff, Wheel Hop, Subframe Connectors, Diff Covers, Axles basically I am trying to find just what I need to upgrade back there.

I bought a Single Piece Drive Shaft rated to 1000HP so I have removed that problem (It should be here Tuesday) but I want to get anything else that would keep me safe in that regards, I don't like breaking things.

I have read a few times that the LSD in the Diff is the weak point but I am really not sure just what to believe yet.

Last edited by Cross; 01-08-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are mounted the same I believe, should be just a swap and done
Old 01-05-2015, 06:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Ideally, match the closer 1-4 of the F-body to the lighter FRS. And the MN12 to the heavier GTO.

If the 408 is just going to be a fun street car and 1/4 on occasion, the MN12 can take it but if it is going to be pushed, lubrication updates will be helpful.

GTO bell and starter match each other.

The rollpin-retained shifter lever of the GTO matches GTO shifters. I like the GMM shifter that does away with the shifter dogbone link.

GTO and 2002 F VSS are the same.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmd
Ideally, match the closer 1-4 of the F-body to the lighter FRS. And the MN12 to the heavier GTO.

If the 408 is just going to be a fun street car and 1/4 on occasion, the MN12 can take it but if it is going to be pushed, lubrication updates will be helpful.

GTO bell and starter match each other.

The rollpin-retained shifter lever of the GTO matches GTO shifters. I like the GMM shifter that does away with the shifter dogbone link.

GTO and 2002 F VSS are the same.
Outstanding thank you this is just what I was looking to find out. The GTO would be basically a 1/4 mile sometimes and street on occasion but otherwise a daily driver fun car. The FRS is to be the toy for the time being.

I owe you a beer sir, thank you.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I have thought up a few more questions, hopefully JDM would not mind filling me in.

I have been looking into the Diff, Wheel Hop, Subframe Connectors, Diff Covers, Axles basically I am trying to find just what I need to upgrade back there.

I bought a Single Piece Drive Shaft rated to 1000HP so I have removed that problem (It should be here Tuesday) but I want to get anything else that would keep me safe in that regards, I don't like breaking things.

I have read a few times that the LSD in the Diff is the weak point but I am really not sure just what to believe yet.

Quick Reply: I have two T56's for Two Projects, a GTO & FRS LS Swap Need Advice