Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaving nice Patch = Messed up clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Steve, you read a lot about people venting their bellhousings to help cool the clutch and evacuate the dust. Is this something you recommend?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

BESSTROKEDNOVA was a 6speed racer and did hold the record for a while going 8.60 or something. So the man could drive, and he used his clutches!!

Last edited by Zmg00camaross; 09-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Steve, you read a lot about people venting their bellhousings to help cool the clutch and evacuate the dust. Is this something you recommend?
I've not seen it make that big of a difference honestly. We've tested that, we've tested fans in the bellhousing on slipper setups, we've done some crazy stuff... LOL.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Fans in the bellhousing. WOW!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Fans in the bellhousing. WOW!
LOL, hey don't judge us!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

What you jam some computer fans in there lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
What you jam some computer fans in there lol.

Maybe... LOL
Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
LOL, hey don't judge us!
I wasn't judging, I was impressed!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

I wasn't judging, I was impressed!
LOL, I was kidding.

But seriously, one of the cooler things we've done... no pun intended.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the burnout smell like rubber or clutch ? I am only half joking seen a few clutches destroyed that way over the years
Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is a dedicated drag car venting the bellhousing MIGHT make a slight difference to the racer looking for a few tenths. But to be honest, any serious drag racer running a clutch is likely going to replace it pretty often. In a street car, no way would I vent the bellhousing. Way too easy to get road debris in the clutch assy.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe... LOL
hahaha
Old 09-03-2015, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

The clutch is 6 years old, he's not the original owner, he bought it used, and he's put 3,000 miles on it... that said, there's no telling what was done to it before.

What I do know is we stopped selling those because the price for manufacturing that friction became so expensive it would have made a $1000+ single disc clutch, which isn't going to work in the market. The friction itself is fantastic and very very smooth. As with any aggressive metallic based friction, if you get it hot enough it will liquefy and adhere just like this did. It doesn't make it a bad friction, but I would agree that this isn't the unit I'd have recommended for a cam only Fbody.
I know many of us are guilty of going with the bigger is better theory and that it does not always mean that it IS better. There are a lot of people on here that don't need a stage 3 but have one anyway and sing its praises. I hope I will be singing as well, as I have a stage 3 waiting for me to install in my garage. In all fairness I did not contact you before I bought it. Are you saying this is a BAD choice for a car that is more on the mild side?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I know many of us are guilty of going with the bigger is better theory and that it does not always mean that it IS better. There are a lot of people on here that don't need a stage 3 but have one anyway and sing its praises. I hope I will be singing as well, as I have a stage 3 waiting for me to install in my garage. In all fairness I did not contact you before I bought it. Are you saying this is a BAD choice for a car that is more on the mild side?
I know when I did mine (Monster S3), I was thinking I would grow into it - future engine mods, etc. My experience with it is that it's very durable. I've been daily driving it now for 18 months+. Will be two years in January - minus the time the motor was down for build.

It will occasionally make rubbing noises if you keep trying to feather it like a stock clutch, but if you beat the **** out of it, it behaves. I used to get complaints about it chattering when (wife/friends/body shop guys) drove the car and the engine was mostly stock, but as the engine has gotten stronger, the complaints have died off mostly.

Is it a BAD choice for a milder car? no. is it the BEST choice? probably not.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I would not worry about it. This isn't like a cam where you bought a massive cam thinking that you were going to add heads, higher compression, headers etc, but you did none of those and just crammed the huge cam in your stock engine.

On all the situations I have seen, it is usually the opposite scenario. A clutch rated for 500 hp is put into a car making 800 hp and the clutch slips and becomes overheated or glazed. Doing the opposite...putting a clutch made for a 800hp application in a 400hp car just gives you a sore leg from the added clutch pressure and a bit more grabbing due to the heavy pressure plate and aggressive clutch material.

This is what has me scratching my head on the clutch in the picture. 3000 miles, very little heat checks on the flywheel, and we have a melted clutch. Granted we do not know what the previous owner did, but with 3000 miles and it worked fine, I would guess it wasn't overly abused.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I would not worry about it. This isn't like a cam where you bought a massive cam thinking that you were going to add heads, higher compression, headers etc, but you did none of those and just crammed the huge cam in your stock engine.

On all the situations I have seen, it is usually the opposite scenario. A clutch rated for 500 hp is put into a car making 800 hp and the clutch slips and becomes overheated or glazed. Doing the opposite...putting a clutch made for a 800hp application in a 400hp car just gives you a sore leg from the added clutch pressure and a bit more grabbing due to the heavy pressure plate and aggressive clutch material.

This is what has me scratching my head on the clutch in the picture. 3000 miles, very little heat checks on the flywheel, and we have a melted clutch. Granted we do not know what the previous owner did, but with 3000 miles and it worked fine, I would guess it wasn't overly abused.
I admit I do beat the car when I drive it. I am not worried about breaking things, that makes it fun for me to upgrade if something does break. Anyhow it was only used maybe a few times from the guy a bought it from and not really sure why he wanted to get rid of it. I did only give him about half as much as it would have been new for the entire kit.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update...

LT1-S on its way from monster.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lt1-s has arrived. Bummed though, directions say not to use ARP bolts. That's what I have, stock bolts did not come in the kit. Hopefully they can overnight some.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
Lt1-s has arrived. Bummed though, directions say not to use ARP bolts. That's what I have, stock bolts did not come in the kit. Hopefully they can overnight some.
Comped a clutch and complaining about not receiving hardware? Jeeze....
Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^Who says the clutch was comped? And he wasn't complaining, just noting that Monster says not to use the ARP's he has.

Quick Reply: Leaving nice Patch = Messed up clutch