Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaving nice Patch = Messed up clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaving nice Patch = Messed up clutch

Well I have not tore into it but earlier today I dropped it down leaving a pretty good patch. I know I shouldnt have, the car has been sitting for about 2 months. Anyways now will not go into gear, pedal feels great. I have a spec master monster level 3 clutch (not sure what level that is for their present kits). I had to drive it home with no clutch, man that was fun. Pretty sure the diaphragm is jacked and bent. The monster clutch is rated at 700hp however so wouldnt understand how that would happen. O well I need to dig in and troubleshoot! Let the fun begin.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any guesses on what it might be
Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

There was a thread a few days ago where someone had good pedal feel, but couldn't shift at all. turned out his clutch disc had fused to the PP.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
Well I have not tore into it but earlier today I dropped it down leaving a pretty good patch. I know I shouldnt have, the car has been sitting for about 2 months. Anyways now will not go into gear, pedal feels great. I have a spec master monster level 3 clutch (not sure what level that is for their present kits). I had to drive it home with no clutch, man that was fun. Pretty sure the diaphragm is jacked and bent. The monster clutch is rated at 700hp however so wouldnt understand how that would happen. O well I need to dig in and troubleshoot! Let the fun begin.
Give us a call so we can go over details, and help trouble shoot.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Soooo....I shouldn't be doing burnouts with a monster clutch?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. You don't hear about them failing very often. I abuse mine like nobody's business
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'm in contact with the OP to see what happened. He bought it second hand and we're waiting for the rest of the information so we can help him out.

As far as not being able to do a burnout, that's silly. Of course you can...
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I'm in contact with the OP to see what happened. He bought it second hand and we're waiting for the rest of the information so we can help him out.

I purchased the clutch from the member on here BES Stroked Nova.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Phew! Had me worried for a second, I didn't put a 9" behind mine so I could baby my drivetrain...
Old 08-29-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Few months later finally found time to tear into it. Fused plate it is.... I will have to figure out what to do from here. The clutch is ten year old but less than 5000 miles on it. I will be in contact with monster see what they recommend.
Name:  image.jpg1_zpsyykzpknd.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  128.7 KB
Name:  image.jpg5_zpsazac8qb7.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  134.3 KB
Name:  image.jpg2_zpswyo3aeeb.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  98.6 KB
Name:  image.jpg3_zps0spdy3cl.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  image.jpg8_zpsdi58pce9.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  91.2 KB
Name:  image.jpg10_zps793pc93e.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  93.4 KB
Name:  image.jpg9_zps23m3x1ut.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  109.8 KB
Name:  image.jpg6_zps6aqec11z.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by Eatinstang4life; 08-29-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Are any of the springs broke or is the pilot in pieces? I was thinking maybe some chunk of metal got caught between the plate and flywheel?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Are any of the springs broke or is the pilot in pieces? I was thinking maybe some chunk of metal got caught between the plate and flywheel?
Nope nothing else appears broken. Pilot is intact, the disc material adhered to the flywheel.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been abusing clutches for 45 years and I have never seen that happen. What does the pressure plate look like? I find it interesting that there appears to be a ring in the disk in the same location on the PP side as well. Any idea what the disk material is? If the problem was on only one side I would suspect something in between the disk and flywheel but with the ring in the same place on both sides of the disk something else is going on.

Last edited by TheJDMan; 08-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheJDMan
I have been abusing clutches for 45 years and I have never seen that happen. What does the pressure plate look like? I find it interesting that there appears to be a ring in the disk in the same location on the PP side as well. Any idea what the disk material is? If the problem was on only one side I would suspect something in between the disk and flywheel but with the ring in the same place on both sides of the disk something else is going on.
Pretty much the same here.

If nothing got in there, them maybe there was a chunk of material in the disk itself? The last clutch I had in my car (Centerforce) had actually turned the flywheel blue and had heat checks ever 1/4". It never welded itself to the flywheel.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe nothing fell in there it was running great for couple thousand miles. There is no material missing from anywhere that I inspected. You can see the ring on either side of the disk and the pressure plate. It got super hot and either the material is not sufficient at the temps I got it to or there was a defect in the disk. You can see where the material from disk peeled away and adhered to the flywheel.

Here is a pic of the pressure plate.
Name:  image.jpg1_zpsmb8e9dwl.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  80.6 KB
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

We've not offered those units in a very, very long time... that is one of the first Monsters.

The reason it did what it did is heat, when it's slipped excessively, or, it slips itself the heat builds up and doesn't dissipate in the friction. This causes the friction to liquefy and essentially weld itself to the pressure plate.

This is very common in aggressive setups. That said, I've got much better options these days.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for responding and confirming my suspensions about the contributer being heat.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We've not offered those units in a very, very long time... that is one of the first Monsters.

The reason it did what it did is heat, when it's slipped excessively, or, it slips itself the heat builds up and doesn't dissipate in the friction. This causes the friction to liquefy and essentially weld itself to the pressure plate.

This is very common in aggressive setups. That said, I've got much better options these days.
If I am reading the threads correctly, the clutch was just installed and driven a short time before this happened. I can only assume it wasn't bad when the OP got it or he would not have put it in.

From what you are stating, either he cannot do burnouts, he does not know how to drive a stick, or this clutch is either defective or a bad design.

The flywheel has some heat checks, but I have seen a lot worse and the clutch did not weld itself. Am I missing something?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you're missing anything, I suspect the disk facing material was simply inappropriate for the application which would account for the comment that they have not offered that clutch for "a very, very long time". Like you, I have had so much heat in clutches that the flywheel was criss crossed with heat cracks but never once siezed up like the OP.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

The clutch is 6 years old, he's not the original owner, he bought it used, and he's put 3,000 miles on it... that said, there's no telling what was done to it before.

What I do know is we stopped selling those because the price for manufacturing that friction became so expensive it would have made a $1000+ single disc clutch, which isn't going to work in the market. The friction itself is fantastic and very very smooth. As with any aggressive metallic based friction, if you get it hot enough it will liquefy and adhere just like this did. It doesn't make it a bad friction, but I would agree that this isn't the unit I'd have recommended for a cam only Fbody.

Quick Reply: Leaving nice Patch = Messed up clutch