Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone here hate the MGW?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
I had two cars with the Pro 5.0 and while its better than the stock Hurst, Im still not in love with them. I really liked the Billet + I put on my 92 T5 years ago, that felt like a HUGE upgrade. This one not so much. Im also having an issue with a strange noise being transmitted through the shifter in both cars, both with Pro 5.0. Have a used Billet + on the way to try but would also love to try an MGW some day.
Pick up a shifter gasket, it quiets it down. I hated my pro 5.0, loved my MGW and loved my Billet plus. As with anything in life though, to each his own. Gotta love the MGW or GTFO guys in here
Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point is, OE shifters are replaced because of the rubbery, disconnected feel they have. That isolation also dampens vibration and gives a somewhat smoother shift feel so the general public is happy.

Gearheads install aftermarket shifters, sacrificing those attributes for more precise, direct feel with the accompanying increase in vibration/noise.

Find it amusing those same people then complain about the NVH.

The only real difference between after market shifters is lever ratio and side spring pressure. Unless the plastic cup is swapped out to brass, what exactly are you saying "brakes in"?

The perceived notchy feel IMO is a result of eliminating the rubber isolation and/or the reduced lever travel, nothing internal to the transmission changed, which has a greater impact on shift "feel"; ie the tr6060/magnum revisions.

Last edited by roby; 05-22-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

I love my pro 5.0 its 1000x better than the b&m I had before. shift times improved greatly immediately. the 5.0 was great right out of the box, never driven a mgw in a 4th gen only a 5th, but ill prob never try it due to the car being 97% track car I don't have time to break one in and cant leave any time on the table unless you all are just being pussies and its really not that bad. I will say now that ive had the pro 5.0 for a couple seasons I have missed a gear a couple times and went from 2nd back to 1st but that seems to happen only after a bumper dragging wheelie and I think I rush myself to much trying to keep the car from slamming to much.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
I love my pro 5.0 its 1000x better than the b&m I had before. shift times improved greatly immediately. the 5.0 was great right out of the box, never driven a mgw in a 4th gen only a 5th, but ill prob never try it due to the car being 97% track car I don't have time to break one in and cant leave any time on the table unless you all are just being pussies and its really not that bad. I will say now that ive had the pro 5.0 for a couple seasons I have missed a gear a couple times and went from 2nd back to 1st but that seems to happen only after a bumper dragging wheelie and I think I rush myself to much trying to keep the car from slamming to much.
this is basically what ive gotten out of this entire thread lol.
too many "street cars" and people complaining about how hard the centering spring is.
i havent missed 3rd yet. dont even have to try to hit third, just slam it forward and it goes in.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Your point? Pretty much anything you bolt on your car needs to be broke in before it works properly.
Not really.

So they are selling a shifter, largely aimed at those with intentions of racing, with 1/4 mile being the main use...especially noting the 2-3 shift aspect.

And some people are saying it might take 6 months or 1000 miles before it's broken in ?

That's an awful lot of 1/4 mile passes before the shifter might be any use.

And you deem that normal ?

I've never used one, and I'm sure strong centre springs are a good thing. Externally it looks "nice" too and as others say there are a lot of fanboy's for the product.

But certainly comments in this thread especially about "break in"...really dont do the product any favours.

Isnt a hope in hell I'd buy any shifter if someone said I needed to use it for 6 months or 1k miles before it would work properly. That's just mental.

FWIW I'd also like a shifter with a strong centre spring. But of the Pro5, stock Camaro and B&M, of all of those the stock shifter has the strongest spring from the left side to centre of gate.

The design of the MGW put me off, as the tall body looks like it would have a very very short throw with a high leverage point, not what I wanted.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Its not all about the shifter, a lot of it is the hydraulics, clutch & condition of the synchros.
Nailed it.

I had a 5-speed 3rd gen that shifted like a dream, and it was because the guy I bought it off of ran a transmission shop.

My 4th gen's 6-speed has been a disaster since day one (whoever owned this car previously needs to fall off a ledge). The Hurst billet/plus helped mitigate some of it, but now it's in a crate to finally get rebuilt. I bet I get it back and after driving it a bit the thing shifts like my 3rd-gen did.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would love to try a MGW, have a aftermarket hurst whatever it is. I do just fine with it, I would trade for a MGW. But I never had a issue with any shifter. I just jam gears and jam them hard.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

I had a hurst billet. I missed 3rd gear so many times. Got so frustrating at the track. Now with the tick master and mgw its all good. Haven't miss third yet.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have been good. I very rarely miss a gear, don't matter what shifter it is, I just have a knack for rowing gears.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only time I missed a gear was with my stock shifter that was like paddling a canoe. That said, I'm really enjoying my MGW.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I have been good. I very rarely miss a gear, don't matter what shifter it is, I just have a knack for rowing gears.
Nice! I "NEVER" miss, now lmao
Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Nice! I "NEVER" miss, now lmao
Lol my Trans is so wore out it just goes in. But a 100 track passes and missed 3rd 3 times and popped it out of first on launch once DERP!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 AM
Teching In

When you guys say the pro 5.0 is notchy what does that mean? I would think notchy is a more positive shift feeling which would be good.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

I just replaced my Pro 5.0 after 7 years with an MGW. The 5.0 never let me down, but the shifts were super notchy and the return springs had started getting weak. Picked up an MGW and have about 600 miles on it. It is much, I guess stiffer? but I really enjoy driving around a lot more with the MGW. It just feels better, and the 2-3 shift, it just goes there. Besides the fact that the factory shifter cup decided to die on my first spirited run, it has been wonderful. Reverse was slightly more of a pain at first, but it wasn't easy with the 5.0 either.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone had their MGW get noisy? mine has 6k on it and rattles like a bitch I have taken off the **** and the boot and even had tranny removed torn down and inspected with no problems found it shifts like butter but in any gear under heavy load from 5k and up its noisy as hell, any ideas? this problem just started with in the last 500 miles.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbyman03
Has anyone had their MGW get noisy? mine has 6k on it and rattles like a bitch I have taken off the **** and the boot and even had tranny removed torn down and inspected with no problems found it shifts like butter but in any gear under heavy load from 5k and up its noisy as hell, any ideas? this problem just started with in the last 500 miles.
Try taking the allen screw out of the shift ****. For whatever reason i would get noise from the shifter when the allen screw was holding the **** on verses just screwing the **** on.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 06-12-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the first time I've seen MGW hate lol. My MGW was stiff at first but now its perfect. I can get into ever gear fine. I'm a scrawny bitch IT guy and have 0 issues finding every gear. Reverse is cake. da fuq is going on here guyz?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not to beat a dead horse but I thought I would introduce some new points and also reiterate some points that have already been made.

First of all I love my MGW. I looked on here before I bought a short throw and noticed that the overwhelming majority said MGW ftw. All I knew is that the stock **** had to go. Same thing with the Tick Master cylinder. Everyone said get it.

So I bought a wilwood master cylinder for my clutch and found out the hard way that the tick unit was superior. That being said, I did not want to make the same mistake twice because obviously the majority of the people on here are not morons.

With the logic behind purchasing now brought to the light, I want to move on to the actual product.

The shifter itself was beautiful and was a shame that it was going to be covered up. I did noticed that the gates were going to obviously going to be moved to the driver side of the car just by looking at it. However, if you never saw the shifter outside of the car or without the boot on, you'd have no idea. I Have no recollection of where the stock placement of the gates were. Having had it for about 8 months now, I have notices that there are some things that are characteristic of the shifter and then there are things that are characteristic of hydraulics and transmission wear. 5th, 6th, and reverse for that matter are greatly affected by the quality of bleeding that was done on the clutch and the wear on your syncros. My stock hurst shifter gave me issues going into these gears and changing to the MGW did not rectify these issues. What rectified these issues was a clutch overhaul and a Tick master cylinder along with new hydraulics. once that was done, each gear engaged like butter. I also noticed that rev-matching gears helped tremendously with 5th gear down shifts while moving.

I did not notice it ever loosening up. I did notice a learning curve though. At first I took off from 3rd several times, before I made sure that I moved it that little bit it needs to engage 1st instead. Once that learning curve is over, the whole car is more fun to drive because of that piece. Missing gears is just not an option almost. Power-shifting is a breeze. Argue where you may but the closer gates mean faster shift times because with any given speed (ie the maximum speed you can shift), if you minimize the distance then your time will also be minimized.

Shifter feel will always be opinionated, however quality, craftsmanship, and how short the throws are will forever be objective. IMO the MGW is a great first mod and if I ever buy any other T-56 or TR-6060 car, this will likely be my first mod.

All of the shifter's shortcomings are what make it great for me. As this is installed in my daily driver, I have quickly become accustomed to those shortcomings so that now they are virtues. There is 0 play in the shifter, for example, so everytime I drive another standard car, it becomes obvious that there is play in it. It was stiff at first and it does take some gettting used to but IMO it was worth taking off 2-3 times in 3rd gear from a stop.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

bstrang6, At least now you know you should no problem selling your MGW shifter easy here on In the Parts Classifieds section.
The funny thing about opinions is they're only opinions, the world won't stop rotation whether or not you have a MGW shifter. I've had good luck with both the Pro 5.0 which actually wore out, and my current Hurst Billet Plus which I like even better.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bstrang6
I bought my car with this shifter in it. Since the day i bought the car I thought the shifter was garbage, but didn't know what it was until today when doing some wiring. I've not really had issues shifting it, but the sticks too far to the right, first gear feels like it's where third should be. Also I find that first and second gear are hard to get into when going easy, like I really have to pull the stick to the left, not an issue when racing, but when putting around town it's annoying. Really hoping to find someone with a pro5.0 that wants to trade.

Am I crazy or are there others that don't love this shifter?
It's funny you say this... I bought the shifter thinking it was the best one out there. I also had my transmission built the same time I bought the shifter. The first thing that caught my eye was first gear looked like it was in third. Also with the lever in neutral it's not centered. Then while driving it I have missed forth gear a number of times. I have never missed and have not ever heard of anyone missing forth but for some reason I always end up in second during a speed shift. The last thing is during WOT the shifter will pop forward, not up, but forward and does not come out of gear. I thought this was weird.

Quick Reply: Anyone here hate the MGW?