Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch engagement point high

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch engagement point high

I recently installed a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and flywheel on my LS1 Camaro, and I also did the drill mod on the master cylinder hydraulic line. I bought it used from a friend, it had 600 miles on it, just broken in but owner decided to go turbo and was aiming higher than the clutch was rated for. The flywheel and pressure plate were still looking brand new.

The engagement point for the clutch is when the pedal is high up, leaving me with a lot of extra pedal travel. I don't have a problem relearning how to drive my car, just wondering if this is normal. The pedal currently sits higher than the brake pedal.

The slave cylinder is a new GM unit. However, the master seems to be an aftermarket replacement (google search of P/N on the unit did not come up with any results)

Car drives fine, drive it like I stole it shifting 6800 all the way to 5th and no clutch slip, no dead pedal, no difficulty getting into gears during hard shifting, nothing.

The master was bench bled out of the car, slave was gravity bled. Further bleeding was done in car using a Mityvac.

If Centerforce would like to chime in themselves too, would be great.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Not a bleed issue. Almost sounds like there is too much shim at the slave
Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Not a bleed issue. Almost sounds like there is too much shim at the slave
I didn't shim the slave. Just don't want the slave to be applying any sort of pressure on the springs that could reduce the clutch assembly's life.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM
I didn't shim the slave. Just don't want the slave to be applying any sort of pressure on the springs that could reduce the clutch assembly's life.
I'm not familiar with the dual friction clutches. My car stock master and stock clutch the pedal was higher than the brake pedal. I never drove aftermarket clutch on stock master. It could well be the way it is.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ADM
I recently installed a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and flywheel on my LS1 Camaro, and I also did the drill mod on the master cylinder hydraulic line. I bought it used from a friend, it had 600 miles on it, just broken in but owner decided to go turbo and was aiming higher than the clutch was rated for. The flywheel and pressure plate were still looking brand new.

The engagement point for the clutch is when the pedal is high up, leaving me with a lot of extra pedal travel. I don't have a problem relearning how to drive my car, just wondering if this is normal. The pedal currently sits higher than the brake pedal.

The slave cylinder is a new GM unit. However, the master seems to be an aftermarket replacement (google search of P/N on the unit did not come up with any results)

Car drives fine, drive it like I stole it shifting 6800 all the way to 5th and no clutch slip, no dead pedal, no difficulty getting into gears during hard shifting, nothing.

The master was bench bled out of the car, slave was gravity bled. Further bleeding was done in car using a Mityvac.

If Centerforce would like to chime in themselves too, would be great.
It may very well be just how all the pieces fit together, but give our tech line a call at 928-771-8422 just to double check and then feel free to PM us with any follow-up.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Free bump for you. I'm dealing with a similar "issue". McLeod RST (dual friction), GM slave, Tick Adj. Master Cylinder. No shim required on install -- it was well within tolerance. My clutch pedal is well above the brake and engages near the top -- it's the only place where it properly disengages for shifting.

All the extra travel is frustrating to deal with, however the high RPM shifts are silky smooth.

As best I can tell after numerous conversations with Tick, McLeod and others, this might be attributed to "tolerance stacking" of the various components. I'm OK with that explanation and can learn to live with the pedal, however I'm still on the fence of pulling the transmission again to inspect and rule out any issues with the clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement point high