Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st/2nd T56 Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1st/2nd T56 Grinding Noise

Car in question is a manual 2002 z28. It has about 96k miles on it... po did aftermarket air intake, headers and exhaust... other than that, with the exception of ps pump and alternator, I have no idea what is original or has been replaced.

A couple weeks ago I was running an errand with my 2 year old son in the Camaro. I reversed out of the driveway and as soon as I got into the road, I remembered I didn’t remove the airbag fuse (son was in the front seat) so I pulled back into the driveway, shut the car off and removed the fuse. When I restarted the car, there was a metallic clangy sound coming from underneath the car… it only lasted a couple seconds (long enough for me to say wtf, turn the radio off and hear it for a second) and as I was reaching for the key to turn the car off it quit (to me it sounded like something broke loose in the bell housing and was flung around in there before settling on the bottom or something). I proceeded with my errand. It drove fine except for a couple minutes on the way home where it was hard to get into any gear at a stoplight. No grinding or anything it just wouldn’t go into gear. I was able to muscle it into 2nd I think… and the next shift after that (into either 3rd or 4th) was harder than normal. I haven’t had those two problems again.

The re-occurring problem is a grinding (and not even sure if grinding is the right word) when I lift the clutch pedal from shifting into 1st or 2nd from a roll. It’s never popped out of gear and it goes away after a maybe 10-15 seconds. Everything feels/sounds fine when I start the car in the morning going to work and in the afternoon going home. It only seems to do it after a good 20-30 minutes of driving.

A lot of forum reading seems to point to a clutch and/or hydraulic issue. I finished dropping the tranny yesterday after church, but the top left bolt on the bell housing is a PITA so I haven’t been able to look at the clutch yet. There are no broken pieces sitting in the bottom of the bell housing, but I haven’t inspected it too closely yet. I didn’t see any debris or anything when I drained the transmission fluid.

What should I be looking at... hopefully I didn't drop the tranny prematurely... if there were any driving tests I should have done first?

Oh and another thing worth mentioning... I was hit by a boat trailer while parked getting gas (guy forgot he had the boat on the back and took the turn way to sharp) about a month ago. It pretty much just ripped the front bumper up, but I did have it sitting in 1st gear and the car was pushed back maybe 6 inches before the guy stopped. It drove home and to/from the body shop without any problems. The first tranny problem happened a couple days after I got it back from the body shop (I probably drove it 2 or 3 times in that period).

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Name:  IMG_20150904_164733318.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  124.4 KB

Is this heat damage?

Name:  IMG_20150904_164838676.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  129.1 KB

Is there anything questionable looking here?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Just a follow up... I went ahead and got an ls7 clutch, flyweel, new slave and pilot bearing. I think the root of the problem was the pilot bearing, it was toast when I pulled it out. While I had everything out I decided to replace the rest of the parts. I've driven it about 50 miles so far and have not heard anymore grinding.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear!

Also, make sure to break in the clutch properly.

This means no hard driving for 500 miles.

Quick Reply: 1st/2nd T56 Grinding Noise