Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

stick shift bouce/wobble over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick shift bouce/wobble over bumps

2000 TA,101xxx miles no major mods. Koni SA/Strano springs. I bought this car A4 to M6 swapped. I have poly motor mounts and just replaced the torque arm bushing because it was badly torn.I switched the trans mount back to a rubber OEM stock style because i believed it might be contributing to highway vibrations which turned out to be the tire stores inability to balance a tire. (even after three tries) So the problem is a bouncing stick shift over every bump or hole the rear end encounters. It feels like the whole transmission bounces. Very unnerving!! I've been under the car a ton of times trying to find anything that is loose or worn and I'm at a loss. The shifter moves up on acceleration as well. Thanks for any help. (I'm still sort of new at all this so thanks for your patience) I wasn't sure if i should post this here or in suspension and brakes

Last edited by celtsean; 10-28-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Is the combo of poly torque arm bushing with a OEM China rubber mount contributing possibly?? Anyone???
Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stick shift bouce/wobble over bumps

Mine has done the same thing since I have owned it. The stick will jump up about half an inch under acceleration and it also bobs up and down over bumps.

I'm interested to hear if this is normal. I have poly engine mounts and stock tranny mounts but I had this way before I changed the engine mounts.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s7ven
Mine has done the same thing since I have owned it. The stick will jump up about half an inch under acceleration and it also bobs up and down over bumps.

I'm interested to hear if this is normal. I have poly engine mounts and stock tranny mounts but I had this way before I changed the engine mounts.

This is my old stock torque arm bushing. Torn much worse than you can really see on both sides. This was definitely part of the problem. If you still have the original trans mount and TA bushing , I would say it's a good idea to inspect them closely. Sometimes they hide the tears pretty well when still installed. The TA bushing looked nowhere near as bad before I took it out. I could barely see a little hairline rip. I'm waiting on my poly trans mount which should be here Monday. But I have a feeling that is only going to help a little. Is it the shifter springs? I kinda doubt it. We will see. I wish someone more knowledgeable would chime in. If I wasn't so used to my car it would be really hard to shift on bumpy pavement.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celtsean

This is my old stock torque arm bushing. Torn much worse than you can really see on both sides. This was definitely part of the problem. If you still have the original trans mount and TA bushing , I would say it's a good idea to inspect them closely. Sometimes they hide the tears pretty well when still installed. The TA bushing looked nowhere near as bad before I took it out. I could barely see a little hairline rip. I'm waiting on my poly trans mount which should be here Monday. But I have a feeling that is only going to help a little. Is it the shifter springs? I kinda doubt it. We will see. I wish someone more knowledgeable would chime in. If I wasn't so used to my car it would be really hard to shift on bumpy pavement.
I think I remember reading that if you have poly engine mounts then poly transmission mount shouldn't be used, not sure why that was the case. I have a brand new mgw shifter as well, that did not change anything after installation.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll check the trans mount and ta bushing. My car has so many squeaks, rattles, and vibrations that I don't even really notice it that much anymore.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s7ven
I think I remember reading that if you have poly engine mounts then poly transmission mount shouldn't be used, not sure why that was the case. I have a brand new mgw shifter as well, that did not change anything after installation.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll check the trans mount and ta bushing. My car has so many squeaks, rattles, and vibrations that I don't even really notice it that much anymore.
That is the opposite. If you have rubber motor mounts then you don't want a poly trans mount due to the flexing of the MMs.The poly trans mount is stiff and could break stuff. Poly-poly is fine. That TA location sucks. I'm going to get a TA relocation kit and an adjustable TA soon.

Last edited by celtsean; 10-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: stick shift bouce/wobble over bumps