Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How can I make shifting feel better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default How can I make shifting feel better?

I bought my SS in '03 and converted it to a t56. I has the LS7 clutch kit I bought from the dealer, factory master and slave, drill mod done. Has a Hurst billet plus shifter with a short generic stick that I made shorter and a Hurst pistol grip shifter.

Now Hope I don't **** anyone off. Since then I built a 95 mustang. If anyone knows mustangs it has a billet clutch quadrant, stock cable, king cobra clutch kit, built t5 with a Pro 5.0 power tower and stick with the stock shift ****.

I've learned that I like the mustang feel much better, the clutch might be a little harder to push, shifting is short and positive.

The Camaro pedal is soft, seems to travel long. The shifter seems to need to move further and is easier to miss a gear especially third.

I've considered swapping it back to an automatic.

Before I do that is there anyway to make the pedal more stiff and short?
And is there a shifter that has a shorter throw than the Hurst?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why would you want a stiffer clutch pedal? But you could get a tick adjustable master and have the ability to move the engagement point a bit. The hurst isn't all that great of a shifter from my research. I have a mgw which has been the best for years. Now Hinson motorsports has released theirs and it seems to be top notch. Both would shorten and tighten up your shifts
Old 06-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The pedal is just too light, I expect it to get heavy when it starts disengaging I think. It's just too smooth and light I guess.
I'll check into those parts you mentioned, thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems your trying to compare a cable clutch to a hydraulic? They won't ever feel the same
Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jays, not sure how much wear your t56 has, but replacing the linkage bushing may also help improve the shifter feel.

Quick Reply: How can I make shifting feel better?