Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5th/6th drive gear stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 5th/6th drive gear stuck

Hey new too ls1tech im in here so much its about time I joined the community. Me and my dad are rebuilding my t56 out of my 98 camaro z28. The input shaft is worn down at the tip where it seats in the pilot bearing. And the gear at the other end is missing teeth. The gear that rides along the input shafts gear which I believe is first gear? Has half to three quarters of the teeth missing. And the 5th/6th drive gear is missing a tooth.... Or was... Its been a really smooth process the whole way up until we hit the 5/6 drive gear. Weve created God's puller itself and all it did was snap off a couple of the teeth. We switched to smaller jaws instead of a 1 1/4"ish length.. And it still snapped off the bottom of a couple teeth. We called it a night because we dont want to damage the gear anymore although it was damaged in the first place. Weve hit it with knocker loose. Tried heating up the drive gear (dads idea). And tried vibrating the shaft with light hits with a hammer. And absolutely nothing. Its pretty upsetting. I figure ill I'll call a shop tomorrow and see if they wont just try and pull it off without charging an arm and a leg. Id really hate to condemn this transmission over the 5/6 drive gear being stuck. Please HELPPP
Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that many broken teeth on various gears it may be more financially viable to just buy another used trans. Sounds pretty beat up.

As far as the 5/6 driven. The mainshaft was a little loose from the factory and the gear would eat into the splines on the main shaft. Plus the splines are only about an 1" long. It could be that the splines are so worn that you have to twist the gear before it will pull off. My T-56 from a 2002 only had 25k miles and the splines were already down to 80%.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Abort mission and Sell that transmission! You can sell the front bearing plate for $150, the center main case housing isn't really worth much as they don't really fail, the tailhousing for $200+, and whatever else inside is salvageable.

I used to buy T56's to rebuild and sell. After getting burned on about 20% of them not even being worth rebuilding and merely go in my parts bin.... unless you know the history of the transmission don't buy it. I would buy them all the time and the owners would say 2nd gear or reverse gear is bad. Well when you tear them down it is a much different story when you carefully inspect each part. Sadly most of these transmissions were beat on pretty hard... and when something was failing the owners typically kept driving them until total failure which then takes out more parts inside as a result.

After going thru it and getting it proper you could've just bought a T56 Magnum which is light years better, smoother shifting, stronger and could be at your door in under a week.

Last edited by gnx7; 06-25-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Unhappy

Yea thats where we're at. Tried a transmission shop and they couldnt help. Gave up the number for one or two other shops we can try and if that doesnt work ill have to buy a new one. It just crappy having to condemn the whole tranny over a stuck gear
Old 06-26-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stuck gear isn't necessarily why. It's all of the chipped teeth. Gears run for 150-250 min each. You'd be at $1500 in parts if not more. Half way to a t-56 magnum by then.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Im looking at the magnums but theyre double the price of what im at now while not being a direct fit. Although that 700 torque capacity is enticing haha.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you talk to gnx7, he has one that's pretty dang close to bolt up into an F-Body. As the T-56 is no longer made, GM needed an alternative for parts.

Also note the Magnum uses the newer syncro design and is DRASTICALLY better feeling. Plus the provisions for an oil sprayer and beefier input and output shafts. If I had the spare cash I'd sell my perfectly good built T-56 and buy one!

Quick Reply: 5th/6th drive gear stuck