Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

match balancing clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default match balancing clutch question

The guy that is installing my clutch, hopefully, highly recommended me getting my clutch match balanced. I have a new in box Spec 3 and billet steel flywheel. When I called to make an appointment, the person I spoke with asked if I had a rotating assembly. I said no and basically he said they can match balance the clutch but that it wouldn't do any good and I wouldn't notice a difference unless the entire drivetrain was balanced. When I told him the experience of others that have had theirs down, as far as chattering / better breakin / smoother shifts, he said that balancing the clutch would have nothing to do with the above if they were new components. He said that if there was any chatter, it would have to do with something else like the drive shaft not being proplerly alligned, et ... Basically said they would do whatever I wanted, but warned me that it would be a waste of money and that I wouldn't notice a difference.

What do you think?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chatter doesn't have anything to do with balancing. If your clutch/flywheel is out of balance it can cause some serious vibration problems though. If you're that worried about it go ahead and do it...The first time I had a McLeod clutch install in my C5 they said it wouldn't need to be balanced. Sure enough there was a very noticeable vibration as revs increased. Took it all apart (clutch swap on a C5 is a PITA) balanced the clutch/flywheel and all was well.

Still your call though....many people have gotten away without balancing...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt balance mine, and im vibration free. if the gm dealer that installed my spec III could balance the two i probably would have had them do it. that is if the price was right.
justin
Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt balance mine, and im vibration free. if the gm dealer that installed my spec III could balance the two i probably would have had them do it. that is if the price was right.
justin