Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my throw-out bearing gone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my throw-out bearing gone?

Car can turn on and off but I cannot get it out of first gear. The peddle is worthless (will not spring up and it very loose) and the car will not disengage (if I turn it on and release the brake, the car will move forward) and I cannot get it out of first gear when the car is off.

I first thought it might be the slave, but since I cannot get it out of first even when it is off, I am gueesing the bearing came off. The car has 83,000 miles on it, so I guess it is that time?

Any clues? Or am I unfortunatly right (this would not be a cheap or easy fix )
Old 08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lemme ask you this, had you recently been beating your car hard...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black00TA
lemme ask you this, had you recently been beating your car hard...
nope. i really don't beat the car at all..hell..i don't even drive it that much. I drive it maybe 20 miles a week.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

ok so let me get this straight. your clutch pedal is dead and doesent do anything?? but u still have to push it in for it to start up... what happens when you release the clutch?? does it start moving?? if so your problem is with your transmission...i would get it check ouut asap.

fwiw
Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car is in 1st gear and I cannot get it out of first gear. This has very little to do with the actual transmission. The car is already engaged in 1st gear, which is why I when I release the brake it moves.

When I release the clutch, it does as much as if I push the clutch in...nothing. The more I think about it, the more I think the bearing came loose and came off.

edit: Too be more descriptive, if I pull the peddle up (It will not come up itself) it is not disengaging the clutch. When I turn it on, it engages since as of now, the engagement is at the bottom of the lever, but has no disengagement point. At least that is pretty much what I can deduce. There is of course also the possibility that I have a leak and I have no fluid left.

Last edited by Gloveperson; 08-13-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

maybe you should just get it looked at, as for my opinion, i think your transmission is damned.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Can pull the shifter out of gear with or without the car running ? If not something wrong with the tranny.If so, better check your hydrualics out.That sounds more like the problem.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. It may be hydraulics. I started the car up today and it would stall out if I would even slightly pick the clutch up from the floor after turning it on (it was still in 1st gear at this time).

After it stalled out on me, I tried to move the shifter and it came out of first gear fine and I was able to move it in and out of gears with ease while off. I turned it on again and it was in neutral since I was able to rev it slightly (didn't want to push it farther than 1500 RPM). From what I can understand, the hydraulics seem to be out since it seems the engagement point is at the floor. Taking a look at the slave and master tomorrow is my goal.

I have not tried to move it in and out of gear with the car yet, pretty much because I don't want to take the risk of it getting stuck again.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Unhappy

This is very much like what I just had happen and I had not been getting on the car at the time and I had not had a mushy clutch or anything odd going on. I also don't drive the car much - for the past year it has been about 300 miles per month or less. But here is what happened...

A week ago Sat. night - went to a local GTG - started the car up to go eat at a place about 3/4 mile away. I let the car idle for about 15 minutes as a buddy came over to ask me a couple questions about some mods before I left - then cruised over the 3/4 mile to eat and got on it about 3/4 throttle for maybe 2 seconds - cruised around the lot for a good spot and pulled in - sat there with the car running and the clutch pushed in for about a minute while I waited for another buddy to park his TA - I then went to shift into 4th to park it as I routinely do and it wouldn't go back to 4th - so I bumped it up to 2nd and it wouldn't go in - then back to 4th and it wouldn't go in - so I go to pump the clutch a couple times and as soon as I lifted my foot off the clutch I realized it was stuck to the floor! I was like WTF! Because I am aware of a couple reasons for the clutch sticking to the floor - but not under these circumstances! I was able to pull the clutch up with my foot and then get it in gear and made it home alright - but it still was sticking to the floor half the time on shifts and I was taking it real easy. I just put it in the garage and didn't check on anything until a couple days later after I did some searches here. Let me note at this point, that although I have a '99 - I had the 2002 Z06 Clutch, Flywheel and Slave Installed 10,000 miles ago - everything changed out except the master cylinder -and have not had one bit of trouble with the clutch or shifting or anything and I was at 330+rwhp for about 7k miles of that and 3k miles have been at 390rwhp - but again, never any issues whatsoever and it has gone through its paces a few times even in our south Texas heat but never been to the strip and no DR's. I didn't find any leaks and the fluid level for the clutch master cylinder was right where it should be - BUT - it was almost black with some greyish swirl in it - really nasty looking. So for just a quick simple attempt to see if it made a difference - I soaked up all the fluid in the resevoir (at this point I also found some pretty thick black stuff (sediment) at the bottom of the resevoir which I cleaned out good) and poored in fresh high temp DOT3 brake fluid. Went and drove the car hard and it did 95% fine but when moving the car around the drive and garage basically at idle - the clutch wants to stick all the time. So my plan is to flush the fluid out of the resevoir and master cylinder lines and refill and bleed as I have a MityVac and I will also insulate the stainless braided line going into the tranny as I have some insulation wrap made just for things like that and I am aware that LT's can cook the fluid. I will then try it out again. If there are still issues - Plan B will be to take out the MC and flush again and do the drill mod and reinstall, fill and bleed and test it out again. Plan C will be to replace the MC in a last ditch attempt to keep from having to pull the tranny!

Do these sound like logical steps to finding the problem? Does it sound as though it could actually just be the nasty fluid and sediment? Or does this sound like there could definitely be a problem with the MC or Slave or even the Pressure Plate?

If I do end up replacing the MC - what are my best options? Like would a McCleoud (sp?) Adjustable MC be the way to go or what?

One more thing... when refilling the MC and resevoir - is it OK to upgrade to DOT 4 brake fluid or just stick with a good DOT3?

Sorry, but hopefully this will help the originator of this thread as well. Thanks in advance! Patrick

Last edited by 1999Daytona500PaceCar; 08-16-2005 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Add to
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds exactly like my problem, although I never checked the fluid level. Car is a at a tranny shop right now.

An adjustable master cylinder is the way to go btw. I also have heard good things about the drill mod.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Unhappy

Yeah, it was pretty weird to have it happen under those conditions and all of a sudden. Be sure to post up what the shop finds. Good luck with it and hope it doesn't get too expensive. Oh, and take a look at the thread regarding 'Clutch and Clutch Fluid' to see pics of just how nasty my fluid looked as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Any more input/ideas?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like you both have slave issues. My vette did the same thing when the slave went...and that was right after getting it back with a new McLeod twin disk clutch. Apparently my stock slave wasn't up for the increased pressure needed to work the twin disk. If your cars are pre '01 then I'd say your slave is dead...I really doubt it's your trans.

In any case, dropping the trans on an F-Body isn't too hard to do...drop it down and take a look at the slave.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Is my throw-out bearing gone?