Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mcleod clutch burned up in 800 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcleod clutch burned up in 800 miles

this weekend i went to more performance in charlotte n.c. to have my tranny checked out.i ran 4 passes at an 1/8 track with no slippage to my knowledge and suddenly the clutch starts smoking and will not go in 2nd gear.

we pulled the mcleod street twin and it was toast.all plates and even the flywheel are burned to a crisp with all this dust inside,the car has been babyed for 1st 1000 miles except for the passes x4 that equals only 24
secs of hard running,these clutches are suppossed to hold a 1000 HP,my car dynoed just 454 at the wheels with the cutouts closed,,,,,so what went wrong here????????????????piece of junk for a clutch????,,bad install,,,TEA done my install in akron ohio,???any suggestions

anyway more performance so far have done a great job my car,we put a street twin clutch back in with kevlar and ceramic organic on two plates .its a new clutch out by carolina clutch and tom at the company gave me a no hassel warrenty ,if my car eats this one he'll replace it for free
look at mcleods warrenty ,,virtually its nonexistant
the guys at more performance told me they've had lots of trouble from mcleods street twin,and very hard to adjust right.
i think the mcleod is junk!!!!!i'm boxing it up and let them see what may have happened if it s only good for 800 miles they can keep it
Old 08-17-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gotta be a bad install....you very seldom hear of a McLeod going south in so little time.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Did you slip it a lot at the track?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the McLeod twin disk being difficult to adjust properly. But the one I have has taken a shitload of abuse and still grabs like a ****. And good luck getting any answers from McLeod...they do suck with customer service.

Good Luck
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never slipped it,it just dyed on my 4th pass and would not shift to 2nd

Quick Reply: mcleod clutch burned up in 800 miles