Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard going in gear at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default hard going in gear at the track

On the street i can shift my car fine, fast and with out a prob. I went to the track 1st time this year the other day. 4 out of the 5 passes i couldnt shift it.?? going for second it just ground horribly. then one pass going for 3rd wouldnt even go in (with alot of force even slowly trying to get it in) so i went from 2nd to 4th. Tranny has about 7k miles on it. it has a ram clutch that works fine. It is killing my times. My one decent run i made 2.0 60ft, i kinda granny shifted and shifting at 5500 all i could pull was a 13.0 @ 108
I dont know if its just the upper RPMs it wont shift or what?

I was thinking of changing the fluid. it has dextron III in it now. maybe try GM syncromesh?

any advise what it is?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into your hydraulics
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM
wrencher

I've been there, I'd also say check the hydraulics. Hows the pedal feel? Release point? Done the drill mod yet?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the rest.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
....going for second it just ground horribly.....then one pass going for 3rd wouldnt even go in (with alot of force even slowly trying to get it in)

It is killing my times.

id be more worried about replacing several hundred $'s worth of internals than times at that point.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Look into your hydraulics

Don't force it into gear either, it wil break and be expensive. Mine is in the shop right now. I hope to get it back tomarrow to take it to the track.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

check your tranny mount to see if its cracked....
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
check your tranny mount to see if its cracked....

tranny mount is fine...i dont see how that would matter. as tire pressure, its also fine.

drill mod is done.
I'll try bleeding it and see if it makes a dif.
it has a adjustable rod on the pedal. I have it adjusted allthe way out to actually preload the master a little. otherwise there isnt enough play in the pedal to fully disengage the clutch. Maybe thats what happend, its been a year since i bled it. Maybe my preload has bled out.

I know i hear alot of people leaving play in theirs, but i cant. could my master be bad? the adjustable rod was custom made by the previous owner (correct length?? i dont know). I also rebuilt the tranny when i got the car.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default About the drill mod?

I have the exact same problem with my 99WS6. I havn't done the drill mod on the slave yet, The car has a brand new centerforce2 dual friction in it, since then the car refuses to go into 2nd and 3rd gear at high revs especially on the track but shifts fine during normal driving conditions. Can someone explain or leave my a link to a site where I can read about it thanks. And good luck with your clutch to man I know exactly how it feels. It almost acts like the slave isnt fast enough or the clutch is not disengaging all the way.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Launching!

My first trip to the strip was terrible because of my shifting. I thought I shifted it pretty good just driving around town yanking gears but I think I let nerves and adrenaline get to me at the strip. I found myself trying to mash the clutch pedal through the floorboard instead of just dippin it like I do on the street. I think I made one so so pass but I kinda had to granny shift it also. Since then I practice my WOT shifts more often and it paid off my next trip to the strip. I'm still not perfect(not even close) but I'm getting better.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
wrencher

Well mine did the same thing tore up trannies also.
I fixed it w/a McLeod/CNC master. I rebuilt it though & honed it out real well. Also every year or so put a new 13/16 th's wheel cylinder puck in the master & dress the bore w/ the hone.
Then flush bleed.
+ after going to the strip I check the fluid, if it is dark I flush it w/ the mighty vac. The pedal stays perfect now for me. Haven't had any problems. Ya I go thru alot of fluid, but it's cheaper than T-56 internals.