Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod twin disc adjustment help.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcleod twin disc adjustment help.........

I just got my Vette back. It is a 2000 M6 C5 and it now has a Mcleod twin disc clutch and adjustable master cylinder..........No heres the complaint

The clutch pedal engages at the top of the pedal so I don't have to push the pedal down far at all to change gears. The shop did great job with everything and they have installed many Mcleod clutches on f-bodies but mine is the first Y-body. I called and talked to them after I got the car back and they said they adjusted the master cylinder all the way to have the pedal engage closer to the floor, but it still engages way up top. I would prefer it to engage about half way........ I don't have a problem with the clutch, but the engagement is annoying as hell.

So what can I do about it? They already took the assist spring out and that helped keep the pedal from slowly rising from the floor like it used to, but that don't help this problem
Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 PM
wrencher

I would prefer it that way, but the McLeod twins I've seen release quickly in a short amount of pedal travel. You can add free play to the clutch master adjustment.
Loosen the lock nuts on the master push rod & thread the rod out of the master into the clevis where the lock not is. This will add freeplay & lower the engagment point of the clutch. But it will have more dead movement there B-4 pushing any fluid.
I adjust them the way your is now, at the top if possible.
But where ever the adjustment ends up, it still will release in the same small amount of pedal travel if thats what is annoying ya.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
I would prefer it that way, but the McLeod twins I've seen release quickly in a short amount of pedal travel. You can add free play to the clutch master adjustment.
Loosen the lock nuts on the master push rod & thread the rod out of the master into the clevis where the lock not is. This will add freeplay & lower the engagment point of the clutch. But it will have more dead movement there B-4 pushing any fluid.
I adjust them the way your is now, at the top if possible.
But where ever the adjustment ends up, it still will release in the same small amount of pedal travel if thats what is annoying ya.

I went to a friends house who has installed many of these on f-bodies so he could feel the engagement point and explain if its normal or not. He said it was fine, but that it wasn't as comfortable as the f-bodies he's seen. So I figure it'll be just fine. I'm just going to have to get used to it. Its just weird thinking that I'm getting a good grab when the engagement is so close to the top of the pedal.

However, I was cruising today and decided to bury the go pedal.....I barked the 1-2 shift then the 2-3 shift barked hard, and to my surprise the 3-4 shift barked pretty good as well. So the thing has to be grabbing good. I'm going to put on my DR's and see how it handle's the load of tires hooking.