Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding In Trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding In Trans

Now when i'm at a stop with the car in neutrul with the clutch in, i hear nothing, i let it out and i can hear a faint grinding. Is this a sign for bad things to come? It's usually fine when it's cold but it usually makes that when it's warmed up. sometimes it's louder, sometimes its' quiet. Any idea transmission guys????
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 PM
wrencher

Sounds like the throw out bearing is going bad.
They will 'rubble' when worn out.
Sitting at stop lights with the clutch depressed for extended periods is hard on the throw out bearing if thats what your doing(by your decription in the above post). Best to only depress the clutch when needed no more to keep wear down.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Teching In

that's what i was told...after my car was undriveable from the same problem. so i went and replaced my TO bearing..and yes it was messed up it would lot extend fully, but after putting my tranny back in it still had the same problem. some people i have talked to think that my clutch broke (plate may have come off) and some thinks it is a bearing in my tranny. maybe today i will pull it back off and look at the clutch...so maybe i will know more soon. but that's what i was told. my car started the noise with the same way...so yes i think your TO bearing is bad...unfortunately i don't think that's all it is. personally i think it is the a bearing in the tranny because you have an aftermarket clutch. but that's me and i am new to all this stuff...so i don't know **** really.

01 z28 1sc
Pacesetter LT
GM performance hi flow lid
k&n
pro 5.0
8.40s 1/8mi
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I willl try to keep the wearing down, well if I change the clutch I mid as well change the throw out bearing. Any other things i should hit while i'm down there? There is this guy on here who rebuilds trans for 850-1000 with free shipping back in forth. I'm down with that. I'll probably use him in the upcoming year