Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pretty sure my clutch is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sure my clutch is gone!

well, i think my clutch just died , so I'm looking at prices on clutch packages. I started to turn around where I work, and my car acted like it was going to die. I didn't look @ the rpm's or guages, just automatically pushed in the clutch and when I did, it stuck to the floor and died anyway. It won't turn over and if I pop the clutch back out, when I push it in, it just goes straight to the floor & sticks. A friend said it might just be the slave cylinder or the cable. I'm new to all of this auto mechanics. Trying to learn, but got a long way to go. Take auto mechanics class to help my own knowledge. Any thoughts on if this is just the clutch, the pp, and should I change the whole thing? I was running stock with my cam, and I knew the clutch would need replacing eventually, but when it went, it went all at once, and I wasn't even driving it hard. And I've been reading the threads trying to decide which clutch will be best for my money. She may have to sit until after Christmas -- I've got 2 kids, and they'll have to come first. Anyway, with a new flyweel, it looks like I'm looking at about $800 give or take. And that's just parts. And I believe we'll be doing this one on our own. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bout the ls7 clutch? smooth engagement and has to hold good power
Old 12-17-2005, 08:05 PM
wrencher

The clutch does not sound like it's the problem. If you cannot dis-engage the clutch & the pedal is sticking to the floor it is a hydraulic problem. Your clutch is done if it physically broke & will not drive or slips badly. You need to fix the hydraulics, check the fluid & inspect for leaks. Look at the clutch master, see if it is leaking @ the master push rod.That is inside the car where the push rod connects to the pedal it is mounted on the firewall.
You may need a slave but usually the master is to blame. Do a search, lots of info here on pedal sticking down.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

happened to me too... Put some brake fluid in the resivior, and pump it a few times, and you will be able to drive again. Probably will need to replace some things though.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

ya sounds like a slave cylinder problem......