Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Textralia clutch

I Just purchased clutch with aluminum flywheel will i notice any drawbacks driving around on the street and is it really bad at bogging at the the track thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Textralia clutch with its selected surfaces is designed to be very progressive and with good driver technique, can be slipped all the way through first gear at your selected RMP launch speed in order to maintain max torque on the launch without any ill effects or excessive wear on the system.

Whilst the aluminum flywheel is obviously lighter, the Textralia OZ700AB clutch system doesn’t have some of the basic idiosyncrasies often found with other brands. The frictional surfaces are greatly different from most and the rotational mass is far different as an assembly.

Getting used to the launch should only take you a few attempts, even with a stock engine. After the launch, the lighter rotational assembly will help you cut gears much faster and your ET’s should certainly decrease.

Driving on the street may be a different issue. Particularly with camshaft changes, some may have difficulty dealing with a lighter rotational mass at the end of the crank. For this problem, just have your tuner call Textralia directly and they can certainly help.

Enjoy!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the lifespan on the aluminum flywheel any different? Certainly it is a softer material. I would think that it would wear faster.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The wear surface has an overall higher Rockwell hardness (29c) than steel for wear resistance, but also has a balance of other alloys containing high carbon/graphite levels which create a dry lubricant. Once bedded in, the working surfaces operate smoothly without the typical excessive chatter often found with aftermarket clutches.

Also unusual for aluminum flywheels is the inclusion of custom 3mm thick hardened washers for the flange area so that the flywheel bolts can be tightened correctly without binding on the aluminum which may give false torque readings.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Thats a nice flywheel... Where do I get one?