Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch issues

so here's my problem, just put a new OEM master cylinder in and performed the drill mod. i also put a new slave cylinder in less than a year ago. i've done the mity vac bleeding process and the clutch feels great around town, but when i go through the gears the engagement point back down to about half way or maybe farther (like it used to do with the old master). I'm lost here, so any advice would be appreciated.

Ryan
Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air in hydraulic line. Try this: disconnect the stainless braided hose going from the slave to the master. Get a medium-large nail with a head that can fit into the "quick-disconnect" head of the stainless baided hose you disconnected. Cut off the head so there is only about a 1/2" of nail on there. Route the hose back up into the engine compartment, in front of the brake booster, so you can place the entire head of the quick disconnect hose into the master cylinder resevoir. That nail head you cutoff should be placed into the quick disconnect head and then place the head into the resevoir.

Now, go into the car and slowly cycle the pedal for a couple minutes. What you are doing is cycling fluid through the master cylinder. As you pump it is coming through the master cylinder, up the hose, and back into the resevoir. Most of the air is most likely trapped in there.

After you are done cycling the pedal, carefully and quickly remove the nail head to avoid getting air back in the line. Re-route the stainless hose and re-connect. If the problem still persists, then there is air in the slave cylinder. Then the slave must be bled.

This is one way, not the only way, which worked for me. I hope this helps you out. It took me 20 min to do, and fixed my issues with air in the lines.

Good luck
Andy
Old 03-26-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, i'll give it a shot