Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Liberty's T56

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
what is the average street life of a proshifted trans? i'm going with one for street/strip use and was just curious.
Read a few posts up LS1Joe talks about a pro-shifted trans. I am getting the face-plate engagement. Since it will be going in a 3100 pound car (RX7), I expect a fairly long life out it. 5th and 6th gear stay synchronised. Around town I am in 5th most of the time and on the highway I am in 6th. Currently I have 4.1 gears but that will change to 3.73s in the very near future.

Andrew
Old 06-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats true project, being that it will be in high gear most of the time it will save the life of the proshifted gears.... i didn't look at it that way.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take care driving it you should expect a good life. Not sure about exactly how long. Craig at liberty said we would need to tear it down every 50-75 passes or so to look at it. I do not recommend to my customers to drive it on the street just because it is somewhat hard to shift. Since the 5/6 is still synchronized you should have a good ability to drive it on the street since you see 5th gear most of the time.

Good Luck.

T56Rebuilds.com
Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

You might consider sticking with the 4.10 gears, as they'll make 5th-6th more usable around town... Just a thought. 3.73's will drop your RPMs to where 5th-6th are nearly too low to use unless you're on the highway...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I got the transmission yesterday. The input shaft is beautiful from the Micronite process. I installed the stock shifter and went through the gears while turning the input shaft. The initial feeling is that the trans just jumps into the next gear. There is no notchy feeling from the synchros. Just a single click. I know this description is very hard to imagine over the internet, but thats all I have for now.

Andrew
Old 07-08-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I spent most of the day in the garage getting the T56 swapped out. I got everything buttoned up and went for a drive. The first thing I noticed is that this transmission is much queter when you are jst sitting there in neutral with the engine running. My old trans made all kinds of gear noise which was probably due to some loosened tolerances. When I first put it in gear with the engine running it scared the **** out of me. There was a fairly loud clunk. This is easily taken care of by putting the trans in 5th first, then in first. Going down the road was definitely a different experience. The faster you pull the shifter into the next gear, the smoother it is. There is some noise, but its not bad at all. The shifts are smooth, precise and lightening fast. The more your "going for it" the smoother things get. I even went through the gears clutchless. This was actually the smoothest and drama free scenerio. This is officially not recommended by Liberty, but then again I don't have a heavy Viper or F-body with 600RWHP. You floor it, right before redline you let of the gas a little and grab the next gear. Totally smooth application of power. It was pretty incredible.

Now for the bad news. One point that surprised me is that you cannot downshift. This was a little unexpected as I figured it would not be an issue. I never asked Liberty specifically, so I do not blame them at all. I may try double clutching and see if that will allow me to drop into a lower gear while moving.

I am excited to take it to the track and test it out for real.

Andrew
Old 07-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

you can downshift, you just have to rev match the rpms to do so....call liberty and ask them how to do it. or PM Turbo'd Stang and he can explain it to you.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
you can downshift, you just have to rev match the rpms to do so....call liberty and ask them how to do it. or PM Turbo'd Stang and he can explain it to you.
I will give them a call tomorrow. I am sure its just a matter of practice.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice to hear some feedback. Jerico has had the faceplate technology for years but I never drove a tranny with it. My Pro-shifted M22 muncie was a dream at the track. I couldn't stand the slop in the slider assembly on the street though, especially with the 285/295 @.050 109lsa cam I was running. It didn't see the street much anyhow. It looks as if the faceplates take care of the slop.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holy ******* ****!

I just went for a nice extended drive. This trans puts a smile on your face like nothing else. Downshits are definitely possible and not very hard. All it takes is a little blip of the throttle and grabbing the next gear down. Upshifts under power are pure sex!

I can't wait to get to the track.

Andrew
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Holy ******* ****!

I just went for a nice extended drive. This trans puts a smile on your face like nothing else. Downshits are definitely possible and not very hard. All it takes is a little blip of the throttle and grabbing the next gear down. Upshifts under power are pure sex!

I can't wait to get to the track.

Andrew
So it CAN be used for road racing as well??
Old 07-10-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dailydriver
So it CAN be used for road racing as well??
It can definitely be used for road racing! I just got off the phone with Paul at Liberty and he gave me some more driving pointers. For ultra smooth, slow, around town shifting, double clutching will work best. Single clutching and movnig the shifter fast will work as well but be more noisy. According to Paul the noise is not indicating wear or any potential damage, just the nature of the beast. For around down downshifting, double clutching will once again be the smoothest way to go and single clutching with a blip of the throttle to match the speed of the lower gear will also work fine. Once again, little noisy, but no damage. Yet another alternative is total clutchless downshifting is also possible but extra care must be taken to match the RPMs exactly.

Paul also confirmed that clutcless upshifting is definitely OK and will not damage anything if done properly. My combination is relatively low power (375rwhp) and my car is light (2900lb). When used in a more powerful, heavy F-body it would be safer to use the clutch. Using the clutch means just barely grazing the clutch so that the load it taken off the input shaft. This will result in less shock loading to all the internal components as well as the rest of the driveline.

I also need to replace the Dextron III fluid in the trans with the GM Synchromesh, which is what Liberty recommends.

I will try to post some incar video ASAP.

Andrew
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/65c44...0673dcf0dc.htm

See if that video works.

Andrew
Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM
FormerVendor

It can definitely be used for road racing! I just got off the phone with Paul at Liberty and he gave me some more driving pointers. For ultra smooth, slow, around town shifting, double clutching will work best. Single clutching and movnig the shifter fast will work as well but be more noisy. According to Paul the noise is not indicating wear or any potential damage, just the nature of the beast. For around down downshifting, double clutching will once again be the smoothest way to go and single clutching with a blip of the throttle to match the speed of the lower gear will also work fine. Once again, little noisy, but no damage. Yet another alternative is total clutchless downshifting is also possible but extra care must be taken to match the RPMs exactly.

Paul also confirmed that clutcless upshifting is definitely OK and will not damage anything if done properly. My combination is relatively low power (375rwhp) and my car is light (2900lb). When used in a more powerful, heavy F-body it would be safer to use the clutch. Using the clutch means just barely grazing the clutch so that the load it taken off the input shaft. This will result in less shock loading to all the internal components as well as the rest of the driveline.

I also need to replace the Dextron III fluid in the trans with the GM Synchromesh, which is what Liberty recommends.

I will try to post some incar video ASAP.

Andrew
Andrew,

I spoke to Paul about this for a customer today and that is not what I was told when we called about a few driving issues he is having. We were told not to clutchless shift at all as the shock load is to great to maintain any reliability. To my knowledge it can only be upshifted clutchless if you have a slipper clutch. I want to make sure you do not damage anything but you might want to call them again and make sure. I am sure he would not tell you wrong but before you go trying it I would verify this as today he told me different when we questioned the same thing.

If you could shift these things clutchless my proshifted would not have broken. Once mine broke is when Paul told us the proshifted and faceplated should never be shifted clutchless unless a slipper clutch is involved. I verified that today when we called.

Thanks,
Joe
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

Now reading more I can understand that with the lower power clutchless shifting might be okay but again, we were told that clutchless shifting with a proshifted or faceplated tranny is not what these things were designed for and should only be used as a last resort and only with a slipper clutch.

Good luck and just want to make sure you do not do like I did and break the thing

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Andrew,

I spoke to Paul about this for a customer today and that is not what I was told when we called about a few driving issues he is having. We were told not to clutchless shift at all as the shock load is to great to maintain any reliability. To my knowledge it can only be upshifted clutchless if you have a slipper clutch. I want to make sure you do not damage anything but you might want to call them again and make sure. I am sure he would not tell you wrong but before you go trying it I would verify this as today he told me different when we questioned the same thing.

If you could shift these things clutchless my proshifted would not have broken. Once mine broke is when Paul told us the proshifted and faceplated should never be shifted clutchless unless a slipper clutch is involved. I verified that today when we called.

Thanks,
Joe
T56Rebuilds.com
I think perhaps I should be clear on something. When I upshift without the clutch, I let off the gas. This takes the load off the input shaft. The slipper clutch would accomplish the same thing by allowing a reduced load on the input shaft. Paul also understand that my combination is not very powerful and my car is fairly light. I am sure that all that effects what they recommend.

I don't mean to me contradictory, please share more of your knowledge and experience. I am still learning about all this.

Andrew
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

The lower Hp and light weight makes sense and I understand what you say. We have tried it and have been able to do it but now we are concerned that the sliders are becoming an issue. We are going to tear ours down after the next race and will post up information then. Due to our experience, our proshifted transmission exploded at the track during finals of the nmca. We were told then that he must have tried to clutchless shift it and that the only way it could have broken that was was to shift without a clutch. No it broke because of abuse and yes we abuse the hell out of it. That is why we chose it. We never tried to clutchless shift it because they told us not to. I will post up pics once we tear it down so you can see what 300 miles and 50 passes do to it.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another point that should be made very clear is that my trans is not pro-shifted. It is face plated. Paul said that the face plating process has been way more durable than the pro-shifted modification.

Please post more info as you have it available. Also check out the video. The shifter is shaking in second gear because I am on street tires and there is a ton of wheel spin. The engine has stock engine mounts.

Andrew
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice vid! It sure does bring back some old memories
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I will give them a call tomorrow. I am sure its just a matter of practice.

Andrew
Looks like it's a hell of a lot of fun, now its time to go hot lapping somewhere (like elkhart lake, wi).

Quick Reply: Liberty's T56