Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod bell housing disaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcleod bell housing disaster

finally got my ls7 clutch and bellhousing done. got the tranny lined up, slipped right in. start to just snug the trans. to bellhousing bolts and hear a crack. turns out the face of the bellhousing is not flat. there is a .020 dip about 5 inches long. so now i need to get the front part of the tranny and start over. i went ahead and finished it up. i guess i'll have to wait before i get to run it at the track.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I hope mcleod paid for it all.Sounds like the part checker wasnt lookin to hard that day. Isnt that an expensive bell too!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you saying the face of the bellhousing that buts up to the tranny wasn't milled flat? A friend an I both have the McLeod housings and fortunately had no problems on the install, other than not being able to bleed the slave. If you want some good advice steve-d on this site sells a slave bleeder extension that works like a dream. My buddy and I had to pull our trannies back out to put on the extension, otherwise it is impossible to bleed the slave. Save yourself some aggravation and put in the extension while the tranny is out the first time.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Are you saying the face of the bellhousing that buts up to the tranny wasn't milled flat? A friend an I both have the McLeod housings and fortunately had no problems on the install, other than not being able to bleed the slave. If you want some good advice steve-d on this site sells a slave bleeder extension that works like a dream. My buddy and I had to pull our trannies back out to put on the extension, otherwise it is impossible to bleed the slave. Save yourself some aggravation and put in the extension while the tranny is out the first time.
exactly, the bellhousing surface that the tranny bolts against has a .020 dip in it. i'm going to contact mcleod on monday. this is rediculous.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know how you make out. A local machine shop should be able to grind that out in about 5 minutes if they have a wide enough belt sander. FWIW you will love the McLeod and the peace of mind it gives once you get the kinks worked out. Get the slave extension though, very impt.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Belt sander=no no. The housing needs to be milled or replaced. If the housing is even slightly out of tolerence the clutch and pilot problems will never end! I would hope mcleod pays for the damages. Tranny parts arent cheap.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you might be surprised what machine shops do with belt sanders these days.

Quick Reply: Mcleod bell housing disaster