Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Manual slip while in gear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual slip while in gear??

My SS recently started doing this especially at high rpm low loads. You accelerate and it feels just like when an automatic slips but this is while in gear? On take offs and gear changes the clutch doesnt seem to be slipping at all, as its a Ram HD and only has 8k miles on it. Could this be slop in my rearend or maybe in the transmission? There are no grinding noises and it doesnt seem to be the driveshaft (when I take off its solid and I dont hear the "clunk clunk" of a worn out driveshaft) the car has about 94k on it. All the mods were done at 86k. Also if this is perhaps the clutch which doesnt make sense to me (but I'm new to manuals so it very well could be) I'm getting a small leak but I've just been topping it off and bleeding it through the leak via burnouts anyhow any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: also its not a linear slip, as in it doesnt seem to be consistent. If I downshift and cruise at 4500 rpms then punch it, the slip doesnt seem to be there. Im very curious as to what this could be. Thanks again
Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the clutch cannot hold & is slipping to me.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The transmission itself won't actually "slip". The only thing a tranny can do like that is shear the teeth off a gear, and that's a whole different feeling than what you describe.
Sounds like either clutch or related hydraulics to me
Old 04-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Launching!

thanks guys, I guess the clutch is the only viable option, thats the way I assumed it was once you're in gear with a manual everythings gear-gear and theres no way there can be "slippage" without hearing grinding or anything like that, I just need to do my slave and maybe master, I doubt my Ram HD is bad after only 8k

And for future reference any Manual experts can explain to me why a clutch can make you slip while in gear?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

are you flooring it in 6th gear? or in other gear? 6th will almost alway sget mad at you if you put the pedal to the metal and make you feel like its slipping(which it is), but if you're going at a mid range speed for the gear it should accelereate fine w/o slipping.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Launching!

it does it in like 3rd and up, Its very strange because at launches and in first it doesnt do it but as you go up in gears it gets worse. But I suppose it has to be the clutch as the transmission itself cannot slip like that. I do have a leaking Master so we'll see I'll take her down and do an inspection
Old 04-30-2006, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

even after bleeding my clutch i still have a similar problem. it just randomly slips like a quick pulse. never consistant. i think its the hydraulics. i also have a problem shifting at WOT. When i shift quick it just hits a wall, WILL not go in gear for way too long, i almost have to pump the clutch again to get it in. This allowed for a real awesome 14.6 run my last time down the track. Wouldnt hit 2nd or 3rd. It sucked. lol if you figure out what it is, please post it up. ill do the same. good luck.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Well I have a hydraulic leak so it MAY be air in the system, but after talking to some experts around here they're telling me that I either have some kind of fluid leak inside my bellhousing or my clutch is just toast, kind of hard to believe that after only 8k miles it'd be done. I just cant believe that its worn out due to the fact I can do a damn burnout and it doesnt slip but in 3rd and up it slips quite a bit. the expert I talked to said that it has something to do with the gear ratios and thats how you tell if a clutch is on its way out, high gear slip. But anyhow I'm gonna just get my caprice goin again and garage the camaro as I dont feel like tearing the transmission apart