Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 input shaft play?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 input shaft play?

how much is allowable? in and out? side to side? my tranny is out right now and i noticed that there is a little play in it...its not leaking from the front seal behind the slave cylinder. just wondering cause this is the second time in a couple of months ive had to pull the tranny for slave cylinder/TOB issues. i dont want to have to do it again any time soon...

-cam
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its hard to tell you how much is allowable, but there is supposed to be some play in it.

I went through 4 slave cylinders in 5 months and it was because of the input shaft on the transmission. In my case it was because the input shaft the dealership had put in the car was from an LT1 as opposed to an LS1.

While you're down there though, check your pilot bearing and pilot bushing, those could also contribute to the slave going out.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its only hard to tell if you don't know how to measure it. The spec is for end play. That is the in-out measure. Most people try to translate that to a side to side measure which is incorrect. End play on a rebuild should be set to one thousandths of an inch. A really good rebuilder can masure this side to side by feel but most should do this with a gage.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

there should be some play in it, i believe its around .002. i had mine set up too tight and it was wining. you will be able to feel a slight movement of the shaft also

Quick Reply: t56 input shaft play?