Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 won't drop...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 won't drop...HELP!

Ok, I got all the disconnects done on my M6 on my WS6 including the hydraulic clutch line All of the bolts are out including the bitch to reach top bolts. I've taken out the starter and torque arm and of course drive shaft etc. The tranny just won't break loose. Is there something I'm missing in order to get this thing to drop? I've even tried a pry bar

Thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Default Got a gap

Ok, I got a gap between the bell housing and the motor. However, I still have the tranny attached to the bell housing. Do I need to detach the tranny from the bell housing then detach the bell housing from the motor? I'm trying to replace the rear main seal on the motor. I'm going to try to drop the tranny out and alleviate some weight on the bellhousing. Chilton guide says that I should just be able to remove the 6 bolts off the bell housing and it should slide right off. I've pryed the **** out of the pry point and got a good 1/2 inch gap or so along the bottom and sides but the top is still connected and won't come loose. I'VE MADE SURE ALL THE BOLTS HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED. I've even pulled the center console and shifter assembly out of the interior of the car. What do you think is the most efficient way about doing this?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

there should be some dowel pins on the block that alighn the bellhousing. sometimes those get stuck. did u remove the crossmember?? lol
Old 07-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I had a buddy shake the tail section back and forth while I pryed on the bell. I tryed for two hours by myself and it wouldn't budge. I had him help me and it took about 10 minutes.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

yea, wiggle the hell out of the rear tail housing. that should break it loose. if not use the BFH mod.
Originally Posted by stangmus
I had a buddy shake the tail section back and forth while I pryed on the bell. I tryed for two hours by myself and it wouldn't budge. I had him help me and it took about 10 minutes.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Default Tried

Me and my buddy are working on it together. We tried the tail shake/pry method and still no go. We tried at every transmission angle you could imagine. It seems like the clutch fingers are getting caught up on something inside the bell housing. Dowel pins are loose and yes the crossmember is out lol. I'm not sure what it could be but we're about a hairs width away from using the come-along. Any other ideas?

Nick
Old 07-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I have found it easier to detatch the tranny from the bell housing. Try that.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Default 8 bolts

Make sure all 8 bolts are in your hand, i just took mine out and it wouldnt come apart then i realized that the bolt on the passenger side of the tranny going in to the bell housing was still in, you can see it from the back of the tranny with a flashlight. We used 5 extensions and a knuckle, had my buddy hold it on while i torqued. If you are sure all 8 are out use a tranny jack or jack and jack up on the tranny a little this worked for us and pulled apart at the bottom , then we wiggled it and pryed a big screwdriver in and it came right out.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Old 07-02-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the TRANS from the Bellhousing! take the trans out. then remove the bellhousing, 100 times easier that way!

*Edit*

this may be a dumb question, but did you remove the shifter from the top of the trans? because that will hold you up too. as it is, you have to have the trans at a pretty severe angle to drop it out. and if the shifter is on still, it will hold up on the tunnel where it goes through!

Last edited by SS4Matt; 07-02-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, what he said. It will make it much easier. Its too late now, but you dont have to dissconnect the slave. When you move the trans back, just take the 2 bolts out.
Anyway, good luck.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Default trans removal..

hi i did the same on sons car,finally after many hours we pulled the clutch fork out and the tranny just about fell out ,remove clutch fork from bell housing. and this car was a lt1 formular.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

oh yea did anyone bother to ask if it was an ls1 or lt1..
Old 07-02-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Default Got it!

Yeah we finally got the damn thing out after figuring out that I HAD to remove the tranny from the bellhousing. There were 2 more bolts holding the bellhousing to the block. There would have been no way we could have gotten to the two bolts unless we dropped the tranny separate the bell housing. One bolt was very top dead center and the other was off set to the left of center one. Even with the tranny tilted back as far as it would go we couldn't see 'em. All we could tell is that it was getting caught up on something. Yeah 2 more 4 inch bolts Thanks so much for the replies guys. Everyone has been a great help. P.S. Don't follow Chilton guides The info out of that thing has been nothing but absolute ****.

Thanks again, Nick