Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Q. on adj master. Already searched a bit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Q. on adj master. Already searched a bit.

I've been having some issues with my clutch not seperating all the way, making it hard to shift at high rpms. I already bled the thing several times with the mityvac and haven't pulled up any air.

I am currently looking at getting a adj. master form mcloud. However, after some searching it seems that it doesn't change the clutch's throw, it just gets rid of the freeplay. Is this going to help? I already shimmed it when I installed everything, so it should have enough to properly disengage. I haven't done the drill mod yet. I was going to do it today but after seeing how you got to yank the master anyway I'd rather do everything at once instead of yanking the master twice trying to fix my problem.

Or is it possible to drill out the line without removing the master? (Hidden secret second question)
Old 07-23-2006, 06:17 PM
wrencher

No remove the master & line do the drill mod.
Then do a search & see how you can convert your stock master into an adjustable one. Then you'll be all set.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
No remove the master & line do the drill mod.
Then do a search & see how you can convert your stock master into an adjustable one. Then you'll be all set.
I mght have a line on a new Mcloud unit for only $50 or so which is why I'm going that route. If that falls through though then I will most likely modify my stocker.

Still though, would that be enough to fix my problem or am I going to have to add another shim. Like I mentioned, from what I've read the adjustable master doesn't affect the throw, only the amount of free play. My clutch is picking up right off the floor well past break in.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 PM
wrencher

well it will change w/ the adjustable master some.
If & when you get the mcLeod, by the price sounds used?
I would highly recommend rebuilding it.
You can search here for that procedure, it is real simple.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mityVac can rupture the diaphragm in the master if you put too much pressur on it. I would not go over 20 psi.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
The mityVac can rupture the diaphragm in the master if you put too much pressur on it. I would not go over 20 psi.
Aye, thanks for the advice. I read a bunch of things on it and decided to mostly follow on guys advice of only going 10-12 hg. I did do one pull at 20 though, since I read on a GM tsb that they recommend 15-20 inches.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely any prolonged "sucking" is going to be not real good for it. I did 20 and it still works great. Just don't max it out.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Alright, hopefully some people see this, I don't want to have to start ANOTHER thread.

I yanked my master out today, and was going to go the DIY adjustable route sometime this week, along with the drill mod.

Now I'm reading about Futral Motorsports doing a nice high output one or something that I haven't read anything about. Price is $200 though. Is it worth it to get one from him/them (don't see any info on it though on the site) or should I save some money and just mod mine? It has a little over 70k miles though.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
wrencher

A new one would be better IMO. Havent heard of the futral one, maybe ask if it is a converted stocker. If it is not a McLeod is always is I have seen.