Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing install

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing install

Which way is the pilot bearing supposed to face the transmission ? The side with the retainer for the needle bearings or the side thats part of the bushing? Just curious as we couldnt get my tranny all the way in, it went through the clutch but felt like it wasnt able to make its way into the pilot. we used the clutch alignment tool when we put the disc in. So i guess we'll see. Looks like we're gonna have to tear the bellhousing, PP, clutch disc and flywheel
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

If I rember correctly the side that tappers in in the middle faces the trans.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
thats right!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

Correct.

I am having the same issue trying to install a Saginaw Trans into a '74 Nova. The trans goes almost all the way in, but about an 1/4" from the bellhousing it stops and won't go in anymore. I think we need to hammer the pilot bearing into the flywheel further, when we put in the polit it was very hard, so I think we stopped trying to hammer it in after it was most of the way in. Guess it needs to go in further...we'll see on Friday when we work on it again
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

When I did my clutch I had the same problem. I slowly tightened a bolt from each side until the trans was tight to the bellhousing. Be careful not to crack the trans or bellhousing. It worked smooth for me.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

When I did my clutch I had the same problem. I slowly tightened a bolt from each side until the trans was tight to the bellhousing. Be careful not to crack the trans or bellhousing. It worked smooth for me.
Generally, its highly reccomended that you not use the trans bolts to draw the transmission to the bellhousing. Any shop manual or experienced mechanic will tell you this. Reason being that if everything isn't lined up 100% perfectly, you could end up damaging the clutch, polit bearing, or even the flywheel.

However, if you are positive that the trans input shaft is through the clutch properly and the tip of the input shaft is seated in the pilot bearing, it shouldn't be a problem if you use te bolts to draw the input shaft the rest of the way into the pilot
Old 09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

When we put my tranny back on, it took 2 hours of just wiggling it (after lined up w/ clutch tool) just to get it a little further in so I could bring it home.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing install