Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk, then clutch wont disengage, pedal is harder

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk, then clutch wont disengage, pedal is harder

I did some searching (both here and google) and haven't found anyone with the same problem, here it goes:

02 Camaro, stock clutch, never seen the track, daily driver, mostly driven conservatively. The car was cold, and in the parking lot. I back out of the space, go forward about 10 feet, stop completely, then begin backing up again. I have enough speed so I depress the clutch pedal from full height. Just as I get near the end of travel, I hear a loud metallic clunk, and the clutch re-engages. (which stalls the engine)

Now when I press the clutch pedal, It takes more force than normal, and the clutch does *NOT* disengage.

Anyone got an idea what may have happened?

It sounded like a spring under pressure being relased. I'm far from home, tommorow is sunday so I have to wait for monday to get to a shop.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

The spring under pressure was likely the clutch return spring under the kick panel. Part of it usually will fall down and hit your foot, and the other piece stays up in the panel. Mine broke years ago. The pedal will be a little more difficult to push, but the hydraulics are fine without it. I'm not sure about the clutch not disengaging though.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrEddie
The spring under pressure was likely the clutch return spring under the kick panel. Part of it usually will fall down and hit your foot, and the other piece stays up in the panel. Mine broke years ago. The pedal will be a little more difficult to push, but the hydraulics are fine without it. I'm not sure about the clutch not disengaging though.
I'm out of town with out tools, so I had it towed to the dealer this morning. The dealer pulled the transmission and found that the sock clutch had disintegrated.

I've rush ordered a Stage 1 SPEC Star Clutch Kit with flywheel, and should be running again on friday.

This was a big surprise, I expected some slipping before total failure.

Quick Reply: Clunk, then clutch wont disengage, pedal is harder