Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do you have to pull the bell housing for just the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to pull the bell housing for just the tranny?

I have pulled out the transmission on different LS1 M6's but I forgot if you have to pull out the bellhousing or if you can just separate the transmission from it and pull it out. I really dont want to deal with the bolts on top of the bellhousing cause i remember how much of a pain in the *** it was.

Also, if you can just unbolt the transmission do you have to pull it away from the bellhousing to lower it?

Sorry its been a while since i took one of these out.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my trans out today. Personally, I took the tranny out first then the bellhousing. You'll want to lower the rear of the trans to get a better angle for the bolts that are towards the top. Remember that the slave is on the input shaft. I removed the two 10mm blots that held it in place, others opt to use two flathead screwdrivers to remove the white collar around the hydraulic line. I've never done it that way. Once the tranny is out, the bellhousing is a sinch. Just make sure you have a 6 point socket and a strong and compact swivel. I almost rounded a bolt off using a 12. Took about 2 hours to remove (in the driveway/ one person).