Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter bolt problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifter bolt problems

i stripped the thread that goes into the transmission that holds the shifter down on the top passenger side, all the others are held down firmly with thread locker, should i have any problems with the shifter creeking and moving around?

it all started with me checking to make sure my shifter bolts were tight, i went he-man on it, and then the shifter starts to creek when i hit first, third or fifth. I tear down everything today ... and strip a bolt.. ugh.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running with a stripped bolt in my car for awhile. Didnt really noticed anything abnormal...then again it was stripped before I ever drove it. I switched to a Pro. 5.0 and I bought a Heli-coil kit to fix it. Super easy...took like 10 minutes. And now I know there isnt a problem.

Im not sure if it would cause the shifter to move around...but there are 4 bolts in it for a reason...and Ide just fix it so you dont have to speculate.

Justin
Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, how do you do the fixing thing on it?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its very very simple. You will need to go to Autozone...or Advance...or Napa and get a Helicoil Kit for 8x1.25 size. I think...double check that.

Anyway, you will need a drill, some WD-40, and something to turn the tap that comes in the kit. A normal tap handle will work...or I used a wrench. Kinda hairy but it worked. And you will need a drill bit...I think it was 21/64.

Before you start, stuff the shifter opening with towels. As much as you can fit in there. You will make lots of metal shavings and chips doing the repair.

First thing you do is drill the stipped hole out. Go easy, its aluminum so its not hard to go crazy. Just make sure you are going straight down. Drill until you bottom out in the hole. Now, take your tap that comes in the kit, and tap the hole. Use the WD-40 to lubricate the hole, and use proper tapping practice. Go in alittle...turn back out alittle... etc. Once you have the hole cleanly tapped, go ahead and grab the insertion tool that comes with the kit. Basically a t-handled deal with a slot in the end. Put one of the helicoils on the end, and thread it in. You want it to go just under the mounting surface. I think they say to go 1/2 turn once the coil is flush. Once its in...take a screw driver or punch, and you will see a small tab inside the helicoil... a swift hit of the punch or whatever and it'll break off into the hole. Feel free to fish it out if you wish...I left it in there.

Viola. You have a threaded hole stronger than it was before. I gave serious consideration to just drilling and helicoiling the rest of the holes...just in case. But I didnt.

It really is pretty easy. And it only takes a few minutes. This is what it looks like when done.

Justin

P.S....I got my kit from Autozone. They are alittle pricey. So be aware of sticker shock. Over $20! The instructions are very good in the package, so you wont mess up in that way. And its totally worth it...because you can fix it right...yourself. Instead of paying someone else to fix it.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

only $20?! thats definately getting done. right now i have the shifter that comes with the ws6/ss models, it has a shorter throw, should i just buy a pro 5.0 or something when i redo the hole?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just tape off the opening for the shifter. Have a friend use a shop vac too if you have one. It'll cut down on the amount of chip-age.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

good thinkin
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah after I stuffed all available blue paper towels in mine...I thought about covering it completely. However...hindsight is 20/20... But go with the tape idea. Or alittle of both just in case. Either way...

J.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

thats probably a good idea

Quick Reply: shifter bolt problems