Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Toss me advice on a slave install please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toss me advice on a slave install please!!!

Im installing a new slave into my 98 z28 tonite. Its just a temporary fix because I'm saving to get my clutch/rebuild done but my slave is wasted. The tranny has never been pulled so can you let me know what to expect or how to get around it. I have all the tools and enough clearance to do it so basically just hit me with some testimonials please!!! TIA...Josh.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

This is happening tonite so cmon guys!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pulling the tranny is straight forward. what i ran into was I needed swival joints to get to the top bolts on the bell housing. For the top bolts on the tranny I had to have my dad get the socket and extensions (u need alot of them) on the bolt from underneath while I was in the car and used the ratchet thru the shofter hole. To break the seal of rtv on the shfter I removed the 4 bolts and got under neath and put an extension on the lib of the shifter base and hit it with a hammer. Once the tranny slides back (will only move 3-4 inches cuz the slave and line are still connected) you can remove the line. Mine wont come off so I removed the two bolts holding it on. The gold fitting is supposed to push toward the slave, mine wont budge.

P.S if you run into any problems post up and well try and help ya, Good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Ok I got all the bolts out and the last one I just lowered the tranny down until I could give myself a couple more inches clearance. How far can I pull the tranny back to reach in and undo the slaves two 10mm bolts. Can I pull it 3-4 inches before the tranny is officially free. I don't want the thing to fall and rip the slave off the hydraulic hose...lol. Let me know how to handle this...please hurry two because once I figure that out it will only be like 2 hours until I can finish...Josh.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can but it's alot easier to just disconnect the line.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your line will disconnect then do that. I had a tranny jack that was holding the tranny up but when the line stopped it from moving back anyfurther the input shaft had come out of the disk but hadnt cleared the pressure plate fingers
Old 11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open the bleeder valve to release the pressure and you'll be able to disconnect the line to the slave with ease.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Open the bleeder valve to release the pressure and you'll be able to disconnect the line to the slave with ease.
lol I didnt try that, if it works im gonna feel real dumb. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I got the tranny pulled and its at a local shop for a rebuild. Can anyone throw some more advice because I will be doing the clutch tonite and I'm not sure how to get the pilot bearing out or in and how to align it. I'm replacing it with a stock GM Ls1 Clutch Kit.

Quick Reply: Toss me advice on a slave install please!!!