Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rattling shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling shifter

My car has the stock Hurst shifter. I first noticed, when I would downshift to 4th and get into it, my shifter would rattle. If I kept a tight grip it wouldn't do it. Since, I have noticed 3rd and 5th do it as well, but not as bad. It seems to be a combo of over 60 mph, and getting on the gas (not even full throttle).

So, anything I should check before I tear into it? Anyone want to donate a Pro 5.0 shifter to the cause? JUST KIDDING!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Teching In

I have the same exact problem, anyone have any words of wisdom? I just bought this car and hope the trans isn't gonna cra pout on me.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are new to the car check out the shifter handle. If the stock handle( it should have a large rubber-filled"can" where it attaches to the shifter) has been changed that is your problem= the isolation has been defeated. If the mounts have been changed to the stiffer poly mounts=thats a contributor / the isolation has been defeated. I don't think you have a trans crap-out worry yet.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

my shifter rattled LESS when i went to poly mounts, stock hurst shifter.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
If you are new to the car check out the shifter handle. If the stock handle( it should have a large rubber-filled"can" where it attaches to the shifter) has been changed that is your problem= the isolation has been defeated. If the mounts have been changed to the stiffer poly mounts=thats a contributor / the isolation has been defeated. I don't think you have a trans crap-out worry yet.

Thanks man , that is reassuring.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps yours rattled less with the poly because you had a broken mount and any undamaged mount would improve.