Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another Reverse Lockout issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another Reverse Lockout issue

First of all I think there should be a sticky on this thing. There are so many posts about it and its like going in circles getting to what I am looking for so I also apologize if this has been dealt with but I have been looking for a while.

Bottom line, I know that there is a problem w/ the reverse solenoid. Its not the internal trans or the clutch. The solenoid seems to work whenever it wants to.
1 It sometimes is engaged or not.(car is on or off) It does this weeks at a time.
2 I know that the cables are not switched with the skip shift solenoid cables.

3 I don't see any blown fuses. There is no computer codes thrown for speed censor or any other related codes.

What I really need to know is Specificaly how is the best way to get to the solenoid and cables. I tried from the top and from the bottom. I also forgot at this point which side its on (driver or pass) because I forget what side of the shifters pivot that its on. Any help on this would be really appreciated and I am sorry if I am coming off as pissy in this post, but I think that the whole reverse solenoid is a stupid idea.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a blown eng sens fuse under the hood.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that must have been a relief for you. Heres where I know I have another issue. I remove the fuse and I still have the solenoid disengaged, though I know it should only disengage when there is current sent to it. So the problem is something very weird. Ugh!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull the fuse you should still have a hard time getting in reverse, the fuse has to be good and pliugged in for the reverse solenoid to work right.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

right that exactly how I figure it,

except the opposite is happening . Which leads me to believe the plunger is getting jammed. Sometimes open somtimes closed. Unless there is stray voltage going into that line. I have to get to that line but I really have a hard time getting to it.