Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnose My Clutch Failure - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose My Clutch Failure - Pics

I had a Spec 2+ with alum FW and alum PP installed about 1 year ago in my 2002 C5, and it began to chatter then increasingly slip under power in taller gears after 10000 miles or so. When the issue began the car was just being driven around town and had no recent track or strip abuse. It saw about 5 roadcourse days and maybe 5 passes at the drag strip.

The clutch is rated at 620ft-lb and my car probably makes 420ish, so I don't feel the choice of clutch was wrong.

When it was installed the clutch had pretty notable chatter for the first 500 miles, which got better after SPEC tech recommended getting it a little hot 5 times or so, but the clutch always had the potential to chatter with anything but 1600+rpm on engagement.

Given that info and these pics, tell me what you feel was the issue in this failure. I have a pretty good idea, but would like to hear some independent diagnosis.

Bellhousing Access Panel: There doesn't appear to be any evidence of oil/grease contamination anywhere.

Press Plate Springs: No major wear, just some grease from the actuator. Output splines appear to have no grease.

Press Plate

Clutch Disc - Press Plate Side

Clutch Disc - Flywheel Side (the line at 6 o'clock is just a mark where it drug across the housing on removal, not a crack)

Flywheel Surface - Bolts were too tight to get off with my Dewalt electric impact rated at 300ft-lb (though it seems to be more of a 130ish ft-lb in practice). I broke a socket trying.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wish I could help you on the diognosis but thats a first I have seen of that, sure would like to know what failed though. I can solve your problems though... Buy a tex you will not regret it. I know its alot more but its worth every penny, no chatter no squeeling and it will take the power. Spec clutches are so hit and miss I had one and it squeeled. I dont think I had it in for 5 months and took it out.
Good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Brody, Give me a shout and I will be happy to provide an RMA number so that we can get this in and assess it more thuroughly. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,