Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Rebuild time, NOOB questions!!! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-56 Rebuild time, NOOB questions!!! PLEASE HELP

Ok guys so basically I know nothing about transmissions when it comes to what's involved in a rebuild. So... what does a "rebuid" constitute? What parts get replaced? "Synchros": heard of them. I have an idea of what they do, but... how many are there? Solenoids? Did i hear the guy right?

I will not be rebuilding my own, not that dumb, but i dont want to get taken for a ride when having it rebuilt. I want to replace some of the parts with stronger components if possible.

Also, i recently replaced the clutch/flywheel and master/slave cylinders, will those need to be replaced, too? I figure i might as well, since Im down there, go with an LS7 clutch/Flywheel.

PLEASE HELP!
PS- should there be a sticky on this?? "looking at the guts of a T-56"
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

check out http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/index.asp (formerly t56rebuilds.com) and pick a package depending on how much you want to do/spend, once they get in there and open it up they'l let you know if you need or should replace any other parts. i went w/ package 2b and ended up having to replace 2 gears aswell, im very happy w/ it and no one beats their cutomer service
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

I have package 4A from Six Speeds Inc (formerly T56 Rebuilds)....bitch takes beatings like it was built to, and it only set me back $1500 after my core check came back...LOVE IT!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

what's the trunaround time for those guys?? Im in California, and this is my DD. Im not sure this is a viable option. Do they sell/ship parts, or are they only in-house?

The original questions still stand
Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

cant tell ya what the normal turn around time is cause i had some..shipping problems.. but if your looking for something local try posting this in the western section
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Im not really looking for a rebuilder, im lookin for info... what parts of the tranny can be replaced? what are some common weak points? tranny guys, chime in!!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Launching!

ok i just had mine built to basically the 4A package. You can only get stock gears unless you go custom route which you wont. As for the stronger parts I got and would recommend is carbon blocker rings, billet keys, bronze shift pads, steel 3-4 fork ( the 1-2 fork is aluminum but they dont make a steel fork). That is about all you can really get I think. But i ended up needing an new 3rd, 5th, 6th, mainshaft, reverse, 1-2 syncro assymbly, 1-2 fork, and im sure i left something out of the list but thats the major parts. I had 1400 in parts and 200 in labor.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always replace the blocker rings, 3-4 slider keys, 3-4 fork, 1-4 sliders and bearings depending on how many miles you have on the car. We always replace the 3-4 slider keys with billet keys, 3-4 aluminum fork with steel and the sliders since they wear. You can replace anything inside the transmission it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to do with it.

Thanks,
Amber

Quick Reply: T-56 Rebuild time, NOOB questions!!! PLEASE HELP